Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004

Rear hub suggestions

On my P3 its time for a new rear hub... again... and im looking for suggestions.

My beat machine see's a combo of dirt jumping, trials, mostly urban assault and some 14 mile each way commuting.
    Ive been a big fan of the run of the mill shimano XT hubs, they are super cheap, even though i get 2 or 3 years out of one before the bearings go south and mash the races.
    Im not a big guy, about 170, but the hub see's a lot of miles in a year and i think its time to upgrade the hub on the back end.

I was looking at a profile hub, but at $500 a set (i dont need the front) that is over what i am looking to spend. Yeah i might be able to sell the front and recoup some of the cost, but id rather just buy a rear and not have the hassle.

A friend turned me on to Industry 9 hubs, or a complete wheel, and they look nice but the cost is similar to the profile. Also the I9 looks light, and like it wouldn't stand up to a few years of hard miles. I do like the rapid engagement though...

Anyone have any suggestions of a strong rear hub with bearings that will stand the test of time and not get loos and clunk around like machine bearings have a tendency to do?
    Weight is not an issue, needs to be QR, 6 bolt disc mount, and not any fruity color. Currently it is 9 speed, but i have been seriously considering going single speed because i only use one speed anyways. It would be nice to ditch the der and all the chain lash while thrashing about.

Should i just get a king? I dont know why but im hesitant to put a king on this bike. I ran one on my road bike for a while and it was ok, but i dont know how it would stand up to this kind of load.

Any thoughts?

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    ShimanoXT rear hub.
    Buy a nice chro-mo solid axle to go with it.
    They are solid as a stone and cheap and easy to repair.
    I know there is a lot of sexier stuff available, but the XT is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A HOPE Trials/singlespeed hub? 48pt engagements.

mtbr member
    Hope is a really good option. They also make bolt-on hubs, which are more reliable than QR's. But if you are sure about going singlespeed, then you can take a look on fixed hub + freewheel option. Those fixed hubs are strong and freewheels are reliable and exchangable. A really good freewheel from White Industries costs about $100.
    But you probably won't be able to do both trials and commuting on a singlespeed bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A HOPE SS/Trials hub can fit up to 5different cogs on it with 9spd spacing. Therefore can have a trials gearing, trail gearing and commuter gearing... Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Hope is really versatile and light as well. A good choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    definately go with hope, the second to that would be hadley. :] good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No Hope w/o Hadley

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBound View Post
    definately go with hope, the second to that would be hadley. :] good luck!
    Hadley's are my favorites. Very durable, they adapt to every axel size. I think that they are more durable than Hope's.
    Hope's are very good hubs, Hadley's are excellent.
    Cheers,

Kane

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hope, Chris King, Transition, Atomlab... All good hubs!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I went with Profile. There's not a lot of options out there for high end single speed disc cassette hubs. I also highly considered the Atomlab Pimplite and DMRs.

mtbr member
    Another option, is to do routine maintenance on your hubs. Change the bearings before they destroy the races. I repack all my hubs, BBs, and headsets every three months, or after riding in wet/dirty conditions. This is especially true with high end hubs. Without proper maintenance a $500 hub will get thrashed in the same way as the cheaper models (it might just take a little longer).

I have XT hubs on my AM hardtail. They've been rebuilt 4 times in the life of the wheelset. With new bearings they spin better than the day I bought them.