mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Rear derailluer issues

Anyone who rides urban and has a rear derailluer please respond to this.

I was riding with a friend earlier today and I transfered from a sideway to the road of of this little bump in the curb. It was about a 5 or 6 foot gap and when i landed my rear derailluer, which was in 6th, got caught in my spokes and bent the hanger and messed up the derailluer pretty bad. I currently ride with a Shimano atlus derailluer and it is always out of alignment. I am not oging to get it fixed again because this is the fourth time but iw as wondering if anyone could suggest a good derailluer that wont do this as often or tell me why this happens so often.

I post too much.
    Hangers are weak parts usually. I'd either get a sram derailleur or go single speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    go sram and you'll never regret it. make sure you limit screws are set right and it'll never go into your spokes again

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    shimano 105 super short cage.

Meh.
    Well, don't land on your derailleur. Check your limits. It sounds like the derailleur was not set up correctly.

A short cage will keep it tucked out of the way. But you may not be able to use a short cage if you run a double up front with an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette. You can get away with a short cage paired to a single ring and a 11-34. If you want dual ring up front, I suggest going with the mid-cage.

If you want to keep your Shimano shifters, go with the 105. It's cheap, and it works. If you want super clean and crisp shifts, go with the x.9 derailleur and shifter.