Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    i like rocks

really confused on tires

i'm trying to pick out some good tires for urban use. and frankly, i'm baffled. why are so many of them so heavy? why doesn't anybody make any with a kevlar bead?

i don't want a slick, something that can handle some hardpack trails, but will be wear resitant and offer low rolling resitance for daily use in the city.

i was thinking maybe the maxxis holy roller?

thanks yall.

nOOb now rOOkie
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2664

or the holy roller, or kenda k-rads

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    i'm trying to pick out some good tires for urban use. and frankly, i'm baffled. why are so many of them so heavy? why doesn't anybody make any with a kevlar bead?

i don't want a slick, something that can handle some hardpack trails, but will be wear resitant and offer low rolling resitance for daily use in the city.

i was thinking maybe the maxxis holy roller?

thanks yall.
    if you are rollin 26s, why not use a Hutchinson Python? Light, fast, and grippy on hardpack. Not my choice for urban abuse since tough and light aren' t words to use together in terms of tires for urban.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Irritating.
    Mar 2004
    I'm running the Holy Rollers and loving 'em. Just enough grip on the trails too.

I post too much.
    They are heavy because we need protection from pinch flats in an urban environment.

j77
    2.30" Kenda Kiniptions have been good to me so far.

Much better street / park tire than the Holy Roller or Krad but also not quite as good as either of those in the dirt.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by j77
    2.30" Kenda Kiniptions have been good to me so far.

Much better street / park tire than the Holy Roller or Krad but also not quite as good as either of those in the dirt.
    If you plan on doing any dirt at all, stay away from the kiniptions. I do more dirt jumping than I do urban and I honestly hate those tires, I can't count how many times I almost killed myself because they have no grip whatsoever in anything that isn't concrete or tarmac(and even then, it has to be dry for them to hook up well).

mtbr remember
    euroford, look at the Schwalbe TableTop, Timo Pritzl's sig. tire. very light, and designed for hardpack dirt.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know these may not be urban enough..... but if the info provided on their web site is right, they are very light for a 2.4.........can anyone confirm this?

mtbr member
    Weight schmeight. Go with Kenda K-rads. Great tire, great price. 2nd choice would be the Holy Rollers. I went with Kenda because of the price. Been running them a for a year now on all surfaces and have not had any problems. Well, I did have one flat but that was my fault.

Local Paperboy Hero
    To tell you the truth, I think nice tires might be a little overrated for DJ/Park/Urban. Those whities I'm runnin are Kenda K130 beach cruisers. I was very skep at first, but I actually really like them. They roll a ton smoother and faster than my old Specialized knobbies. And there is enough tread pattern on the sides to keep me from washing out. I've been DJing with them 5 or 6 times now and haven't slid out at all. Although, they do suck for stopping quickly on dirt. And it remains to be seen how long they will last. That being said, I know a few guys that love the Holy Rollers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

maxxis

i love the holy rollers.thats what i am running on my p3.they slip a little bit in the grass,but other than that,great tire.larsen tt's from maxxis are great too.

i like rocks
    thanks for all of the info guys. its not like i'm a weight weeny or anything, i was just a little surpised to see how heavy many of these were, i figured there would be a good reason for it but i just wasn't finding any good info. the holly rollers are looking like the one to have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    MTB tire designers overbuild urban tires, because most MTB riders aren't used to putting air in their tires. I use Kenda K-Rad 26 x 1.95" tires for pretty much all riding that I do. I spend most of my time riding street and park with my tires inflated to 80 psi front and 100 psi rear. I also do some dirt jumping, trials, and built stunt riding without changing my bike at all. It's very rare that I pinch.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

resident dumbass
    80 PSI? 100 PSI? Are you kidding me? That would feel so bad, landing on tires like that. Anything over about 45 is way plenty!

I use maxxis high rollers. Insanely, insanely fast on flat ground and downhill. They eat up pavement.

Or maybe high PSI just feels bad on my particular tire.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No kidding, but I come from a BMX freestyle background where using pressure over 100 psi is pretty normal. It actually feels fine landing on tires like that after you know how to land properly, which unfortunantly a lot of MTBer don't learn because they become so relient on their suspension. Super hard tires feel great riding park/street.
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    80 PSI? 100 PSI? Are you kidding me? That would feel so bad, landing on tires like that. Anything over about 45 is way plenty!
    Man, you think 45 is plenty!?!? You better pump yours up to at least 65 unless you like dinging the crap out of your rims and pinch flats.

resident dumbass
    I've got mine set at about 50 and my tires barely ever push inwards at all! It's not like I just ride up and down the block, either! I probably couldn't even pump my tires up that far (100) without an automatic pump! 55 makes my tires super hard. So hard, that whenever I go urban riding I can't even feel the ground I'm riding over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Do you pull abubacas and fufanus on ramp copings? That's where I really notice when I don't have my pressure high.
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

resident dumbass
    Can't do that yet. Right now I'm working on just balancing on my rear tire. Besides, the only way I'm going to get a quarter pipe to do abbubacas and fufanus on is if I build one in my back yard. The local skate park is skaters only.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    you don't need a ramp. i practice em on curbs and walls and other things downtown all the time on street rides

resident dumbass
    I practice them on hills.

eminence front
    You'l love the low rolling resistance running high pressure... once you get used to it, you'l notice how much better it is.

Im running 65-70 front, 90 PSI rear.

Air Junkie
    look at halo tires, the ones with the twin rail thing-a-ma-gig

resident dumbass
    Oh, did I mention I use my DJ bike to do trials basics too? I can't exactly pivot my stoppie if the front wheel slides on the pavement. I'll try a high PSI, see if I'm just being dumb . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast