The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

Realistic Build Price vs. Complete Bikes

I am thinking of building something along the lines of a Banshee Amp, singlespeed, with an Argyle fork. However, pricing out parts adds up real quick and has me wondering how a custom build REALLY adds up compared to a complete bike from big company such as a Specialized P.2, Trek Ticket, Giant STP, etc. I was also looking at the Santa Cruz Jackal on Hucknroll, but am less than thrilled about some of the components, and its geared (not a total deal breaker, i guess). There are components on all of these builds that I don't really like, but wouldn't necessarily HAVE TO replace...

Thoughts?
    I'm 6'4", 200lbs and rough on bikes, if that matters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    I am thinking of building something along the lines of a Banshee Amp, singlespeed, with an Argyle fork. However, pricing out parts adds up real quick and has me wondering how a custom build REALLY adds up compared to a complete bike from big company such as a Specialized P.2, Trek Ticket, Giant STP, etc. I was also looking at the Santa Cruz Jackal on Hucknroll, but am less than thrilled about some of the components, and its geared (not a total deal breaker, i guess). There are components on all of these builds that I don't really like, but wouldn't necessarily HAVE TO replace...

Thoughts?
    I'm 6'4", 200lbs and rough on bikes, if that matters.
    In my experience, Mid/High-end completes like the P2, Giant STP, etc. do use pretty solid parts. People do end up changing things for fashion or just to switch things up, but tales of stock parts breaking are usually exaggerated--or that person would have broken an aftermarket part anyway.

Your best deal is a used bike that was barely ridden. I see STP's and similar bikes come up on craigslist every couple of months or so.

ultra member
    Jenson usa is selling their 2011 banshee amp completes for 15% off. You might want to consider it. Banshee AMP Bike '11 > Complete Bikes > Dirt Jumper Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by briantortilla View Post
    Jenson usa is selling their 2011 banshee amp completes for 15% off. You might want to consider it. Banshee AMP Bike '11 > Complete Bikes > Dirt Jumper Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Thank you for pointing that out. If they had a Long/Large in stock I would order it right now. I rode a friends regular and it was a bit too small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What about the airborne bicycles wingman? I have looked into building one but its always cheaper to buy complete. My local bike shops are pretty helpful one guy who is a dh rider rides a lot of rocky mountain bikes. His words of advice to me when I asked him what would be a good option for me, that all 6061 aluminum frame bikes are the same and chromo frames are nearly the same. Some have shorter chainstays and different standover but really when you get into complete bikes all your buying is the components on that frame.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Buy a compete and save the hassles.

Having built up a couple now, and still have a DK plus half a bike in parts that I might build up and sell to recoup money, I can say its a PITA to get everything together.
    3 different standards/sizes on bottom brackets now, two different seat post sizes, Some need a caliper adapter for the brake and some don't...

Buy a used complete on Craigslist. There are some super deals right now in the SF bay area.Just make sure it's in solid shape with no hoakie oakie ******** parts thrown together.
    Or...

Buy the DK Xenia from Walmart. It's actually a pretty solid bike. Not a pro level jumper, but it's pretty solid. Find a good deal on a Xfusion fork with regular(9mm) drop outs...and PRESTO!!
    Solid DJ/Pump bike for under $500.
    Magic!