mtbr member
    Dec 2008

quick geometry? questions?

just picked up a 2005 p.2 in virtually new condition- what should i keep in mind as i look to change to wider bars and possibly a bit longer stem? i may also look into upgrading fork- what if i go to more travel (will it totally screw up the feel)? i will use the bike primarily for riding around town screwing around and hitting dirt jumps (although I'm new to that). i would think that anything might go for this sort of application so long as it works for me- but am looking for input

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Lower the seat, take off the reflectors, ride the crap out of the bike, practice bunny hops all the time, keep lots of air in the tires, and get a shovel and make a big jump. Then, start thinking about changing stuff after you have had time to feel out its current geo.

Meh.
    As I said in your other thread... you don't need lots of travel for dirt jumping or riding around town. A long fork will slacken out all the angles and make it sluggish. A shorter stem will make the bike easier to throw around. Wider bars will offer a bit more leverage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    probably great advice, thanks!

really had a great time commuting home just a few minutes ago- spent about an extra hr out there screwing around. Bike feels very stable at all times.

was a bit surprised when my front wheel fell off though... tried to check everything yesterday when I got it home, but haven't had a bike without quick releases and didn't even think about it. Didn't get hurt.

I do think that at the least I will go to wider bars isometime down the road, but It doesn't need anything immediately or maybe ever.

bike obviously isn't an ideal commuter, but it isn't so heavy or so slow that it isn't serviceable to ride it a few miles on the street. Of course that has nothing to do with why I bought it, but it is nice none the less.

it's really too bad the nearest legitimate dj type park is an hr away. I'm not sure how well this will work with the short wheel base for the fairly fast downhill type drops and jumps we have here. Guess I'll try it in about 3 months when snow is gone... erg.