Is now addicted to FR
    Jan 2009

Question about dirt jumps

What qualifies as a dirt jump. I usually hit the smaller stuff, biggest was 3 ish feet high, 5 foot gap, nothing special. I say this because i have a Specialized Hard rock, and i know its not really a dirt jumper, but i do jump it. 2.30 in the front, 2.5 mobster in the rear, rst forks, but i have Marrzarochi Mx comps for it. So with 4 foot high, 6 foot gap jumps, if im landing smooth hurt anything on this bike? Or am i really doing dirt jumps and need the correct bike? Thanks for any info! This is our local trail, small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    those jumps got potential keep diggin. as for your bike ive seen peolple(including myself) jump worse.
    I don't have a funny sig yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why don't you jump on your BMX?

Is now addicted to FR
    Jan 2009
    Foreveralout, that's a pic from last spring, i gotta get a updated one, but thanks =]/ I like the bike, its a perfect size.

Jaw Drop On Hard tail, i prefer mtb to bmx for jumping, i like bmx for street. I have considered it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So the rockhoppers holding up to the jumps? Thats what I have too. Upgrading the fork and stuff like that. Let me know what you had to change to make it work. I like mine too mostly cause it fits me right, most are too long for me. Those are the right size jumps for me too, a noobie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Huck it till you brake it, then build something stronger

Is now addicted to FR
    Jan 2009
    Cstone, Yup, i hate my forks, but i have better ones awaiting.

Impure, thats what im basicly doing. im looking at a Iron Hoarse. 6.0 for DH

Fly fat ass fly !
    Quote Originally Posted by impure
    Huck it till you brake it, then build something stronger
    Switch your tires big knoby in front , smaller in back. Not bad at all .
    If you don't need gears switcher out to single ring .
    Ride dig repeat .
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I switched out the fork and now is sweet! I can really bounce on it and get higher hops off the rebound. I'm liking it better now. I put the seat down and getting a post to angle it back. Bashguard too. Taking one chain ring off.

So what are the rules for finding places to dirt jump without getting kicked out? There are trails here but I want a dirt one with just mounds. I have a plastic launch ramp. Would a few bricks in front of that do? That would be a start until I can find a place. If its property, dont think I can dig.

Is now addicted to FR
    Jan 2009
    I need to get an updated pic, i Have a bash guard now, new forks, and diffrent tires. im liking my setup now.