mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pump track bike: SC Jackal vs. Specialized P.3 vs. Banshee Amp

I'm looking to get a bike for the pump track in the +/- $1,500 range (complete). I won't be doing any DJ (too old for that s#!%), so this is for pump track duty and farting around on flat ground doing wheelies and such. I'm on the tallish side (6'0 and 34" cycling inseam). Any thoughts on which of these 3 bikes would best fit the bill? Any others I ought to consider?

The size L Jackal has a top tube length of 597mm, the L Amp's is 605mm, and the L P.3's is 572mm. (However Specialized says the TT measurement is actual, the Banshee measurement is effective, and the SC site doesn't say one way or the other.)

The parts specs seem roughly equivalent, the main difference being the forks: the P.3 comes with an Argyle RCT, the Amp's MSRP is a couple hundred higher but has the Circus Expert, and the Jackal has the lowest-spec fork (Circus Comp) but you get a front brake, unlike the other 2. Not sure if the difference between the forks is a big deal for my purposes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I'm looking to get a bike for the pump track in the +/- $1,500 range (complete). I won't be doing any DJ (too old for that s#!%), so this is for pump track duty and farting around on flat ground doing wheelies and such. I'm on the tallish side (6'0 and 34" cycling inseam). Any thoughts on which of these 3 bikes would best fit the bill? Any others I ought to consider?

The size L Jackal has a top tube length of 597mm, the L Amp's is 605mm, and the L P.3's is 572mm. (However Specialized says the TT measurement is actual, the Banshee measurement is effective, and the SC site doesn't say one way or the other.)

The parts specs seem roughly equivalent, the main difference being the forks: the P.3 comes with an Argyle RCT, the Amp's MSRP is a couple hundred higher but has the Circus Expert, and the Jackal has the lowest-spec fork (Circus Comp) but you get a front brake, unlike the other 2. Not sure if the difference between the forks is a big deal for my purposes.
    Based on a thread over on pinkbike, my impression is that the Jackal top tube measurement is not "actual."
    Standard Byke Co. 26" DJ Frames - Pinkbike Forum

i'm 6'1" and I find a 22.5"tt (actual) frame--the Blackmarket Mob, in my case-- to be an ideal size. I've ridden quite a few other bikes so i'm pretty certain it's the best fit, at least for me.

All three of those forks would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Made in USA is the way to go. My f-bom marauder is built by Standard Bykes. Essentially the same frame, just a few subtle differences like the rear dropouts.

f-bom "marauder" 26" DJ frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    Based on a thread over on pinkbike, my impression is that the Jackal top tube measurement is not "actual."
    Standard Byke Co. 26" DJ Frames - Pinkbike Forum

i'm 6'1" and I find a 22.5"tt (actual) frame--the Blackmarket Mob, in my case-- to be an ideal size. I've ridden quite a few other bikes so i'm pretty certain it's the best fit, at least for me.

All three of those forks would be a good choice.
    Great info, thanks. That thread illustrates how you can't just look at the TT measurement in isolation -seat tube angle is an important part of the equation.