Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Pros/Cons of 24" rear wheel w/ 26" front?

I've seen this set-up done several times, but never asked "why?" What are some advantages and disadvantages of running a 24" rear wheel and a 26" front? I was thinking going this route....as I am thinking of going SS...I do mostly all urban/park stuff...Basically, my set up right now is a Haro Extreme 8.*, Rigid Kona Project Jump 2 fork, single ring up front, and 8 cogs in the rear...The XT rear deraileur, if I decide not to go SS, will be changed to a short cage...Would it be weird/bad to go with a 24" rear/26" front set-up? I'm thinking it might be more tossable...and will lighten up the rear(which is kinda heavy now, but heard was bomb-proof)...I'm sure wheelies would be much easier too what do you think...especially on this type of frame? Good idea? Bad Idea?

BTW, I have Avid mech discs all around so the brakes won't be an issue...Will it?
    Last edited by Styme001; 10-12-2006 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    None !

your bike will be all choppered out ,no advantage more of a dis-advantage .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Local Paperboy Hero
    In my opinion.... it looks Sofa King We Todd Did. But, if you like it, go for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hhhhhhhmmmmmm....Who's worried about looks? Some of the most awesome performing bikes I've seen have looked sooooooo weird...Trials bikes for example look like some sorta prehistoric creture emerging from the water...Anyway, I don't think 2" makes that big of a difference in looks...I'm more interested on performance as a street/urban/park bike...Plus I don't think this looks "Sofa King We Todd Did" at all..

As for "chopper-esque"....don't most bikes with huge front suspension(i.e. DH bikes) look like choppers?

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Styme001
    Hhhhhhhmmmmmm....Who's worried about looks? Some of the most awesome performing bikes I've seen have looked sooooooo weird...Trials bikes for example look like some sorta prehistoric creture emerging from the water...Anyway, I don't think 2" makes that big of a difference in looks...I'm more interested on performance as a street/urban/park bike...Plus I don't think this looks "Sofa King We Todd Did" at all..

As for "chopper-esque"....don't most bikes with huge front suspension(i.e. DH bikes) look like choppers?
    Haha, don't take me too seriously. I just don't like it. But, don't let me stop you!! I'm not sure about the benefits, but I can't imagine it would be much, if any.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't going with a smaller wheel in the rear screw up the geometry of the bike. With a urban type set up I figured you'd want more of a steep head angle instead of a more slack angle. I understand DH rigs having this set up for exactly that reason (more slack choppered out angle). But not for an urban rig.

Air Junkie
    I used to run this setup. I tacoed the front wheel every ride(no joke). I switched to 24 in the front and could spin way better. The 26 has a bit more of a gyro effect and adds 1 deg. of slack to the HT. 24s are better for urban/park/dj-ing

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    I used to run this setup. I tacoed the front wheel every ride(no joke). I switched to 24 in the front and could spin way better. The 26 has a bit more of a gyro effect and adds 1 deg. of slack to the HT. 24s are better for urban/park/dj-ing

Yeah this is what I was looking for....All around it doesn't sound like a good idea.....Especially with a rigid front fork...I'd probably be doing to the same to my front wheel each tiime too....I'll just leave my 26" the way I have it...I guess this is why I bought the DK General Lee 24"

mtbr member
    From what I have heard is that having a 24"rear and a 26" front is that it gives you better stability and acceralation.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

nrdbomber

yup

Quote Originally Posted by xKREDx
    From what I have heard is that having a 24"rear and a 26" front is that it gives you better stability and acceralation.
    you've hit the nail on the head. my cowan is pretty stout...but it's amazing how quick it feels. and by the way, i've never had an issue with "tacoing" the wheel as someone mentioned earlier...but then again, sun doublewides aren't known for tacoing.

not all frames are set up to run the ss/disc brakes/24" wheel option. in fact, i had a set of surley large marge rims built up, but the rear would not fit in the frame...go big or go home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    SWEET bike!!!! Good points too....I'm definitely gonna look into whether or not my frame will work with a 24" rear....But now that you mentioned it I haven't seen a 24" rear with cogs b4....Hmmmmm.....I definitely wanna try the set-up out for the acceleration factor and I wanna see what kinda control/feel I'll get. And I'll probably be able to do manuals like it's no one's business but my own...LOL!!

Air Junkie
    It actually makes manualing harder.

nrdbomber

yup

It actually makes manualing harder.
    i really hate to say it...but sudden_judgement is right. manualing/wheelies are harder with a 24" wheel out back.
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i've seen 24 in the front 26 in the rear too
    that seemed odd to me

I post too much.
    It will slow down your handling, make your bike feel less twichty, it will increase stability because of a lower bottom bracket height. It will bunny hop less easily and manual less easily too.

mtbr remember
    this thread boggles my mind.... the unbacked opinion being thrown around...
    Schralp it Heavy.

nrdbomber

hmm

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    and yet i'm the only one with a 26/24 setup who's shown a picture, or talked from experience, as i actually own a bike with this setup.

Air Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nrdbomber
    and yet i'm the only one with a 26/24 setup who's shown a picture, or talked from experience, as i actually own a bike with this setup.
    Ahem, I have one too...and iv'e been ridden for 15yrs...and merry christmas.

mtbr member
    ill be running that setup soon...........all I need is the 24" rim for the rear (Double Track)

nrdbomber

nice

Ahem, I have one too...and iv'e been ridden for 15yrs...and merry christmas.
    nice one! what fork is that you're running?

i meant no hate toward you...just the comment about "unbacked opinions" in this forum...when i can actually back mine up from experience.

i believe that you have the experience to back up opinions...so what are your opinions about the 24" in the rear?

mtbr member
    you've hit the nail on the head. my cowan is pretty stout...but it's amazing how quick it feels. and by the way, i've never had an issue with "tacoing" the wheel as someone mentioned earlier...but then again, sun doublewides aren't known for tacoing.

not all frames are set up to run the ss/disc brakes/24" wheel option. in fact, i had a set of surley large marge rims built up, but the rear would not fit in the frame...go big or go home.
    That Cowan is sick.......haven't seen one has nice as yours in a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    nice bikes!!! So basically you guys went with this set-up for more control and better acceleration...Manuals will be harder, I get that now...Hmmmm...I'm still torn...I'm gonan have to weigh my options and my needs......thanks for all your info...and again SWEET bikes!!!

Air Junkie
    nice one! what fork is that you're running?

i meant no hate toward you...just the comment about "unbacked opinions" in this forum...when i can actually back mine up from experience.

i believe that you have the experience to back up opinions...so what are your opinions about the 24" in the rear?
    I love the 24" in the rear, but if you look closely you'll notice it's a 24" specific frame. It's specially made for 24/26 setup, I sometimes swap out the 26" for a 24" when I ride park, because our trannys are a little small for the big wheel. It has awsome geo with 24" in the front too. Super responsive! That pic is of the same bike, but heres mine, I got some upgades(going with DJ3), but I have the 24" on in the pic

Air Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Styme001
    nice bikes!!! So basically you guys went with this set-up for more control and better acceleration...Manuals will be harder, I get that now...Hmmmm...I'm still torn...I'm gonan have to weigh my options and my needs......thanks for all your info...and again SWEET bikes!!!
    Well, I have one more suggestion, with experince , If you get a 24" specific frame, then put a 26" up front, you will have the best of both worlds! Super stable, Fast acelleration, even easier manuals then with 26/26, and it will smooth out rough stuff better than a 24".

Just my 2 cents

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    As we're both using the same single speed ratio and drop out types, I tried it on my 416 with a 24'' General Issue rim with a hookworm on it. My bike handled like crap, it is accelerate quite fast though. Couldn't bunny hop too much(was it because of wheel size, wheel weight(they are heavy bastards at 850g a rim and a 1000g tire, or bb height?) But yeah, I speak from experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast