mtbr member

Project frame idea help needed - 96er

I've got a 'project' idea and I need some options/opinions.

I've been riding 29ers for a few years now and I love them, but I'm starting to miss certain things about my 26" - 120mm travel hardtail 'trail/jump' bike.

I'm looking for a hardtail frame built for (I'm guessing) around 120-130mm travel. I'm thinking of building it up with a 100mm RS Reba 29er fork and a 29er front wheel. I'm thinking that would give me roughly the intended geometry for the frame, and still have a big wheel up front.

So, what frames should I be looking at? My old 26" - 120mm travel frame was custom and I sold it (oops) so that isn't really an option. And since this is a 'project' I'm wanting to keep the cost down. I've been looking at Surly Instigators, Santa Cruz Chameleons....what else?

mtbr remember
    look at an Endless "Lifetime" it was designed around a 26" front tire and a 24" rear - similar concept as to what you are explaining.

96'er won't have any benefits that I can see for the street/dirt world... just a very limited 29'er XC components selection, weaker wheel build, etc... rolling over large objects with a larger wheel, like in trail/xc riding, isn't as much of a concern.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    not trying to be rude but this is a bad idea, alota the time you want smaller wheels for a "jump bike", a 29 inch wheel will not help you, it will only make for a awkward feeling, and probly weaker dj bike.