mtbr member
    May 2008

Profile Hub Engagement

I've looked around and can't find (even on Profile's website) what the engagement is for the Profile hubs. Anyone know the number of pawls and engagement points? Thanks

Bikes Rule
    Not sure on the engagement points. I know that the hubs use a 4-pawl system. Their engagement is instant so I imagine the number of points is rather high. I run 3 full sets of profiles on 3 bikes. I have only opened up one rear hub to perform annual maintenance which is nothing more than 3 drops of 3-in-1 oil. I did not count the points though.

If you are worried about engagement, you do not need to. They are very good.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks man. I am trying to figure out what wheels to go with on my new DJ/Street/Park build. I'm so tired of crappy engagement with a ton of play. I want something at least as quick as the Hope single speed (48 points). Something around 78 points would be great. Would you classify the engagement to be as quick at a King or a Hadley or something like that, or slightly slower, or what? Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    I-9's? very pricey but 120 points of engagement.
    think the profiles are slower or the same speed as the hopes. (at least on the BMX version) one of my bmx mates took one of these apart for the hell of it and counted the engagement points. im 80% sure it wasn't that high compared to something like the I-9 or king.
    also heard a rumour about a halo hub. cheap compared to a king. slighly cheaper than a hope pro but with 70something points of engagement. it was twice the weight of the hope though. but again thats just a rumour that may be worth looking into
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Profiles are slower than the hopes, for sure. Hope proII SS hubs are S O L I D. I cannot say it any better than that...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, the I9s are great, but I'm not going to spend quite that much money. I can get Hope and Hadley at cost, so I will probably go with one of those two, but was just tossing around the idea of the Profiles because I have heard good things. The Halo Supadrive hubs have something like 78 points, but they are not a real single speed, they are built for a full cassette.

mtbr member
    Hope SS hubs aren't legitimate SS hubs either.. they have a cassette body that allows for a 6spd or smaller set-up. They are used by many trials riders and get BEAT on. BUT, due to the disk mount, it builds a dishless wheel, so it is still stronger than a normal 9spd hub.

bearded
    Runnin profiles on one bike and kings on another and hadleys race bike. In all honesty once the engagement gets to a certain point the performance gain is minimal.
    BLKMRKT

Canuck on this Rock
    I have never been happier with a set of hubs in my life than with the Profiles. You won't regret them. I have them on several bikes, they are bomb proof, sound great, work great, and look great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli-ss
    I have never been happier with a set of hubs in my life than with the Profiles. You won't regret them. I have them on several bikes, they are bomb proof, sound great, work great, and look great!
    Word.... Here is my latest addition....