mtbr member
    May 2015

New question here. Is it possible to use my 2012 Eastern Mothra?

Hey guys, totally new to the forum site. So, I've only discovered dirtjumps and such things related a few days ago, and I'm psyched to go to a bike park in Colorado somewhere to try this. But, I'm trying to figure out if I can use my 2012 Eastern Mothra for this or not. Obviously I have plans to buy a real DJ bike in the future, but do I need to get one right away, or is it possible to play around with my street bike before committing? Heres a link for information about the bike 2012 Eastern Mothra - Features - Vital BMX

Thanks guys!

Pro Crastinator
    you wanna know if you can use a BMX bike at the jumps? surely you can't be that ignorant...

mtbr member
    Well, it totally depends what you mean by "bike park in Colorado."

If you're talking about some place like Valmont Bike Park in Boulder CO, yes you can ride 20" BMX. (It's in the town of Boulder, in a regular park, not in the mountains with a ski lift etc).

But, if you're talking about Trestle Bike Park (Winter Park), Keystone, Vail, Steamboat, etc., then you're going to need/want a Downhill MTB. There are jumps on the flow DH trails, so if those are the jumps you're talking about, then you'd be hitting them on a DH bike. All those mountain resorts have rental DH bikes. You can check YouTube for videos of these bike parks (like Trestle), except that there are tons of GoPro vids that are sort of annoying to watch. This is their gnarliest slopestyle trail: Hot Wheels Slopestyle Trail at Trestle Bike Park - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

YouTube some videos for "bmx trails"
    Like:

S&M Bikes - Lima BMX Trails Edit. - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnVvWKdhRI

BMX TRAILS - CHRIS DOYLE, ROB DARDEN & FRIENDS ...www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYWtUJVbyc

mtbr member
    I would pay money to see someone take a downhill MTB course on a 20" BMX.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by twarner21609 View Post
    I would pay money to see someone take a downhill MTB course on a 20" BMX.
    Really not much of a stretch anymore with the 'flow' type trails that are all the rage now. My son was riding what passes for an 'expert' DH trail these days at some places when he was 6 on a 16" bike with a coaster brake. You can pretty much fall asleep at the wheel riding a full DH bike on a lot of modern 'DH' trails; need to dial back on the equipment just to keep things interesting sometimes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Really not much of a stretch anymore with the 'flow' type trails that are all the rage now. My son was riding what passes for an 'expert' DH trail these days at some places when he was 6 on a 16" bike with a coaster brake. You can pretty much fall asleep at the wheel riding a full DH bike on a lot of modern 'DH' trails; need to dial back on the equipment just to keep things interesting sometimes.
    Well, that's too bad. I live in MN, so I have little experience with DH.