Thread: Pike: worth it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Pike: worth it?

Ok so I am pretty sure that this topic has been covered but as usual I have some variation I have to ask about so...

My bike build is almost done (meaning I have all the parts scattered around) except for the fork. I'm going to have to just suck it up and buy one because I just sit around on ebay waiting for the "magic" deal that comes around now and then. I've decided that my choices are either a sherman firefly (90/130)mm or a pike 426. I'm going to use this mostly for urban, but for some "freeride" as well (stupid jumping off of things, in my case) and possibly at some point a dirt jump or two. Anyone with experience with either, how does it hold up? Ever any concerns that it might break or get damaged? I always hear that with adjustable travel forks, they are weaker in the lower travel position. Is that true? I really don't want to limit myself to 80/100mm. Anybody that can shed some light on this it would be appreciated! Once this is together I'll take pictures of the bike and me hurting myself on it, and all will be well. Thanks again

I post too much.
    The sherman will break if ridden hard in the lower position, the pike will not. From what I've gathered, the sherman has these little "wings" that hold the who travel adjust assembly in place, and if run in the lowered position for hard hits, it will bend or even break those little wings, which makes the travel adjuster useless. This is not the case for the pike.

Meh.
    The Sherman can be permanently reduced. This means that there are no more little tabs to sheer off. The TPC+ Firefly was the nicest Sherman. But I'd still take a Pike over it. The Pike is the most fool-proof and best travel adjuster on the market. It's a plate that threads into the coil to reduce the travel. Nothing to sheer off or break. The spring rate barely changes through the travel (not true for some other systems). Pikes are rediculously adjustable. I love it.

mtbr member
    Yeah go with the pike 426 instead of the sherman.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    I believe someone is selling a pike, cough me cough for about 300

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    which one? PM me about it.

Salsa Shark
    I would go for a pike 426. My friend has one, and it feels great! I would still love the fork if you couldn't adjust the travel, that's just a bonus! He hasn't had it for too long (maybe a month or two), but it is putting up with our abuse so far.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ill sell you my pike and front wheel. drop me a line

Just Ride
    hell i'l join in too, i got a pike, i'll sell it to ya RS just rebuilt it with new uppers even! again if itnterested, PM me.

but yeah definitely go with the pike its an awesome fork i'm only replacing it for an argyle

I post too much.
    Who has the cheapest out of the three? PM me with your prices including shipping to canada.

mtbr member
    another vote for YES on the pike...i have ridden mine since last december on my HT. it never leaves the 95-105mm position. i only use it for DJ/4X and some urban. the adjustability on this fork is incredible. mine has held up perfectly. not to mention it is pretty light too.

Portland, OR
    pikes are very cool. between the two, sounds like you want to do street. as in you wont be able to ride the sherman in the lower position. I would go pike. 85-140 cant be wrong.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Pikey, got it today...
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

rock hard or hardrock
    PM me prices for them please
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Thanks for the Pikey, got it today...
    you did, good, did you get the other box with the rim/tire in it cuz I sent that too

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm interested in a pike also please pm me prices, thanks

mtbr member
    you did, good, did you get the other box with the rim/tire in it cuz I sent that too
    Yep.

You guys should consider posting your forks on www.ridemonkey.com free classifieds if you can't pony up the three bucks to post them here, and the DH/FR/DJ population there is huge. I searched for about a month for a Pike for $300 and it took forum sniping here to find one...three, actually.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...