Thread: Pegs

fear this

Pegs

I just finished building my Brodie Miscreant, but I really want some pegs on the back... not so much for grinding rails, but for giving friends a ride. Is this a practical idea? My rear hub is a Novatec 10mm thru-axle and I'd like something I could stick some pegs on.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    Pegs are for Bmx bikes not mtbs. And the right cop will pull you over for giving someone a ride on pegs, its illegal.

mtbr member
    haha, that's funny sh!t there!! It's a practical idea but why don't you give your boyfriend a ride on the handlebars instead of the pegs?

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    Get pegs.

Do grinds.

Throw brakes in garbage.

Then you're legit.

fear this
    Alright, if I've got pegs, I'll probably grind a bit... but still, I'm guessing I need a whole new axle with the ability to mount pegs on it... and pegs themselves!

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    Its got bolts and stuff right? just throw em on, worst that can happen is the axle breaks, then you'll know you need a new one. Hah

fear this
    So no one here runs pegs on the back of their urban rig?

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    I run pegs!

on my twenty...

fear this
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    I run pegs!

on my twenty...
    What kind of axle on the rear? Is it a 10mm by any chance or is it the BMX standard 14mm?

mtbr member
    seems like you're not gonna get a str8 answer from aggie, must be drinkin.

the 10mm I wouldn't stress too much over if you'd be grinding every blue moon. Now the original post was a bit queer about giving your friends rides but, oh well. Now unless your friends are morbidly obese you won't have a problem. If they are they need to be walking anyways. I'm not familiar with that hub but the bearing they offer might be crap so you could be replacing them more often than a bmx hub.

Oh and I don't know the specs on that frame but if it's alum and you're a hack, grinding will kill your stays

fear this
    Frame's 4130 cromo. The bearings are all replaceable and even giving someone a lift would be a rare occasion, so not worried about bearing life. I just have no idea where I'd find an extra long axle or find pegs that might replace the nuts being used to fasten the axle to the stays right now. I've searched the web for stuff, but haven't found much in the 10mm department.

mtbr member
    My Steelhead has 10mm dropouts, but can easily opened up to 14mm. If you plan on cutting 4130 go slow and use lots of coolant. 2mm cuts on top and bottom would get you to 14mm. Maybe a local machine shop or engine builder could hook you up if you don't have the tools. I figured $50 dollars cash would be a ballpark figure for the service. DMR has a great 14mm axle 135 spaced hub for running pegs.