Thread: Pedals

i like dirt.

Pedals

I own some Shimano MP66 shoes and use them for DJing and urban riding. They can be easily modified to be clipless shoes. I am just wondering if anyone here DJ's clipped in. I just have azonic flat pedals, but am eyeing some Shimano M646's for my P. 2. Would it be weird to have clipless pedals on a DJ/Urban bike?

If not, then what are some good, beefy flat pedals I can use in conjunction with skate shoes?
    Last edited by InnovateorDie; 11-22-2006 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    do you like broken ankles? i'm not a fan of clipless for anything other than road.

as far as good, beefy flats pedals... youre only limited by your budget. check out danscomp.com (link), for some pretty good platform pedals. i'm currently using odyssey cielencki pedals that i really dig. i've gone through a few sets before finding something that felt just right (turns out i dont like really lite weight pedals)

Local Paperboy Hero
    Yeah, dude, clipped in is pretty lame in my opinion for almost any kind of riding. And I don't really know any DJ/Park/Street riders that do it. Tricks and crashing are big part of what we do... and both become more difficult/complicated/dangerous while clipped in. BMX platforms are the way to go!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That sounds like the worst idea ever.

I post too much.
    Really bad idea. Urban and dj need you to bail out very fast, it's easy to unclip when the pedal is weighed, but in mid-air, that's a whole different story. All in all, I wouldn't even dare try it.

mtbr member
    I posted a thread very similar to this a week or so ago-upon others recommendations I picked up a set of Animal Hamilton pedals from empirebmx.com. Riding DJ or urban clipped in is uber-sketchy...I tried it once and then immediately decided it was a bad call. The Hamiltons are sick, you can get them in tons of colors and the pedal concave and pins feel perfect to me right out of the box. Reasonably priced, too-you can get either sealed or unsealed for about 55 or 35 bucks, respectively.

Ride non clipped with skate shoes, best way to go IMO.

i like dirt.
    The other day I was at the whoops and this guy had a Demo he was riding with clipped in pedals. I just thought it was kinda weird so I just asked you guys.

mtbr member
    some dhers do, some dont. for urban, dj, clipp in pedals shouldnt even be an option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Almost all pro downhillers are clipped-in now. But out of the question for urban/jumping.