Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pedals

mtbr member

Pedals

Sorry to keep blasting you guys with gear questions...but I'm relatively new to this area of cycling...however totally hooked. Any recommendations for a solid platform pedal? I have some kona jacksh!ts that are allright but quickly getting thrashed...I would kind of like something that is durable, and not stupidly expensive, as they are more than likely going to get beat up as I ride pretty much exclusively urban. Coming in dope colors is an added bonus.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Wellgo makes a good solid pedal for cheap, Primo's are nice too...

mtbr member
    well you have tons of options as far as pedals go. im very specific on how i like mine to be....i would check out the animal hamiltons on www.danscomp.com . they aren't super expensive, they come in tons of colors, and they seem to be loved by everyone who has them.

mtbr member
    those hamiltons seem dope, i might have to give them a whirl. I like the color options too.

Do I really need a sealed bearing if I'm not riding in mud or water and I'm going to be bashing these on ledges/car bumpers/old ladies anyway?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I use a Shimano DX platform pedal and I am loving it. It is grippy and cost about USD 44 in my country. It is cheaper since it is made in the neighbouring country. I read an MBUK platform pedal review and one the top rated was Slim Jim pedal, DMR V8/V10.

I also love the the sexy two-tone crankbrothers 5050, but they are more costly.

mtbr member
    Forgot to add - I have 5050xx pedals on my bike and while I think they are great XC/DH all-around platforms, there are probably better choices for park/street. They are holding up ok, but they have sustained some abuse from park use: The other week I was just riding down the street and one of the pedal plates slid right off, mid-pedal-stroke.

To their credit, Crank Bros sent me new replacement screws in the mail for the once that had disappeared. But I still waited a week. Great pedal for everything except applications where it will be repeatedly slammed into concrete at high velocity IMO...

mtbr remember
    I love my Animal Hamiltons... yeah, I just got the unsealed ones, since I mostly use them for street...
    I've actually been thinking of picking up some sealed ones for my FR rig, since my atomlab's bushings are developing some play, and even though the price of the sealed Hamiltons may seem a bit steeper, it's still about half the price of some of the ridiculous mtb pedals on the market these days...

primo tenderizers are pretty heavy, but very solid if you grind... I have a red set laying around that I could sell for cheap if anyone is interested, just pm me...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pedals are like grips... everyone has their favorite... what i like, you may hate.

i've been running odyssey cielencki unsealed alum pedals... really dig them. chose unsealed for two reasons: cheap, and i can pack them with grease so they dont spin too fast when my foot is off of 'em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dhallilama
    i've been running odyssey cielencki unsealed alum pedals... really dig them. chose unsealed for two reasons: cheap, and i can pack them with grease so they dont spin too fast when my foot is off of 'em.
    ive got them. they are great value for money and you can get them in some nice colours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    shimano dx's here.. so good so far on the dj rig... reasonably light also..

mtbr member
    I was thinking about getting the wellgo b-77's, any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Another vote for the Animal Hamiltons. I've got the unsealed version on my DK Dayton and the sealed version on my Kona Cowan. For the price I don't think you can beat 'em.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kroonspeed
    I was thinking about getting the wellgo b-77's, any thoughts?

wellgo makes a good solid pedal.. cant really go wrong with them for the price.

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Mosh Step's are great. Really grippy & under $30 WITH sealed bearings.

Mosh pedals at Dans Comp

tuck-n-roll master
    Odyssey triple traps are are the sh1t! and damn cheap too. Just wear a little bit of padding and you're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

Crusty cyclist
    get some pedals from albe's, staff-bmx, or empirebmx. Stay away from danscomp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by americanethics
    ...or forget those and support your LBS.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag1
    ...or forget those and support your LBS.

maybe one of the above mentioned IS his LBS?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    will my LBS be able to order those from BTI, QBP or one of the distributors? I haven't really seen a whole lot of Animal or Odyssey around here.

I think I'll try the Hamiltons, for 35-ish bucks I'm willing to experiment to find what I like.

Thanks all for the advice-should be putting my new non-bent crankset on and riding tomorrow night downtown.

EDIT: What the f**k? Empire is in Austin? That's what I get for coming from an XC background, right? I'm gonna check those guys out pronto and pick some pedals up in person.
    Last edited by GorillaTactics; 11-16-2006 at 12:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    maybe one of the above mentioned IS his LBS?
    Good point, Empire appears to be in Austin, along with the OP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I use the Specialized Lo-Mag Pros and wouldn't change to anything else.

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

What up with Dans?

Quote Originally Posted by americanethics
    I've had good experience with Danscomp.
    Can you at least post your reasoning rather than being so vague?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore
    I've had good experience with Danscomp.
    Can you at least post your reasoning rather than being so vague?
    Oh oh, I know this one. Dan's Comp used to be owned by Dan Duckworth. Guy was known to be a bit of a D!ckh34d, I witnessed him chew out Standard Bykes' BMX Pro at a race in Rockford because Standard's owner was selling stuff at discount from the Standard booth instead of reloading the Standard truck. He did this in rage with swearing in front of kids and parents. Come on what does the rider care, maybe he should have talked to Rick (Standard's owner) and not made an ass out of himself in front of a crowd.

Also, a small BMX company named Terrible 1 refused to sell to dealin' Dan, but then Dan's Comp somehow had T1 shirts. How did this happen? They were making bootleg T1 shirts! Serious riders loved T1 and when the news of the bootleg shirts came out more hate was piled on Dan's Comp.

In the '90s when big bike companies were only putting out minimal quality BMX bikes serious riders developed an anti-corporate mentality, as only smaller copmpanies owned by riders were willing to put out product that would last more than a few months of hard riding. Dan's got included in the anti-corporate movement becasue they were the biggest mail-order company and always had multi-page ads in "BMX Plus!", plus Dan didn't ride and was a dick.

Dan then sold Dan's Comp to Alloy, Inc proving that he was just raping BMX for the money. As part of Alloy, Inc the anit-corporate sentiment towards Dan's Comp grew.

Alloy, Inc sold Dan's Comp to XP Innovation, LLC. Which appears to be a corporate entity created for the purpose on owning Dan's Comp and is headed by someone who has been in the direct marketing business sector for years and not a rider.

Currently, Dan's Comp ownership still appears to be focused on revenue generation and not on the love of the sport and hence still recieves resentment from those that see this.

I will not order from Dan's Comp.
    Last edited by ihatemybike; 11-16-2006 at 08:16 AM.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    I can accept that much better than just "stay away from Dans Comp". Thanks for the info.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Oh oh, I know this one. Dan's Comp used to be owned by Dan Duckworth. Guy was known to be a bit of a D!ckh34d, I witnessed him chew out Standard Bykes' BMX Pro at a race in Rockford because Standard's owner was selling stuff at discount from the Standard booth instead of reloading the Standard truck. He did this in rage with swearing in front of kids and parents. Come on what does the rider care, maybe he should have talked to Rick (Standard's owner) and not made an ass out of himself in front of a crowd.

Also, a small BMX company named Terrible 1 refused to sell to dealin' Dan, but then Dan's Comp somehow had T1 shirts. How did this happen? They were making bootleg T1 shirts! Serious riders loved T1 and when the news of the bootleg shirts came out more hate was piled on Dan's Comp.

In the '90s when big bike companies were only putting out minimal quality BMX bikes serious riders developed an anti-corporate mentality, as only smaller copmpanies owned by riders were willing to put out product that would last more than a few months of hard riding. Dan's got included in the anti-corporate movement becasue they were the biggest mail-order company and always had multi-page ads in "BMX Plus!", plus Dan didn't ride and was a dick.

Dan then sold Dan's Comp to Alloy, Inc proving that he was just raping BMX for the money. As part of Alloy, Inc the anit-corporate sentiment towards Dan's Comp grew.

Alloy, Inc sold Dan's Comp to XP Innovation, LLC. Which appears to be a corporate entity created for the purpose on owning Dan's Comp and is headed by someone who has been in the direct marketing business sector for years and not a rider.

Currently, Dan's Comp ownership still appears to be focused on revenue generation and not on the love of the sport and hence still recieves resentment from those that see this.

I will not order from Dan's Comp.

Very nice explanation, what I've been sayin' for quite some time now... but you know, with out all the words... or grammar or punctuation...

albe's and staff-bmx I know for a fact are core. I believe that "Ray's mtb park" even has an albe's night now... man, I wanna try that place out sometime...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast