ouch

Pedals

Just another gnarly wound thread.

Post your pedal gashes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    my axiom step up peddles tear me up pretty bad

I post too much.
    Too bad I don't have any, I could probably show you my shin bone a few times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i'm lookin at my shin bone right now

Salsa Shark
    This is my leg after it met my pedal on my bike. 14 stitches, 10 on the outside, and 4 on the inside just to stitch up the torn muscle.
    (pictures are clickable)

"Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is there any way to prevent this type of stuff from happening? Are platform pedals not the right answer? Seems like something could be done to give you good grip but at the same time not so nasty for the shins. An invention waiting to happen maybe? Looking at my platform pedals they scare me... I'm used to Crank Bros clipless and I'm locked in tight... the platforms are going to be a new experience.

I am getting knee and shin gaurds though...so maybe thats the answer...just gotta remember to wear them.

ouch
    I had roach DH shinguards on (the ones with mesh on the back), but the pedal hit me just below the back of the mesh.

resident dumbass
    Dude, I wanna throw up now . ..
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Salsa Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    Is there any way to prevent this type of stuff from happening? Are platform pedals not the right answer? Seems like something could be done to give you good grip but at the same time not so nasty for the shins. An invention waiting to happen maybe? Looking at my platform pedals they scare me... I'm used to Crank Bros clipless and I'm locked in tight... the platforms are going to be a new experience.

I am getting knee and shin gaurds though...so maybe thats the answer...just gotta remember to wear them.
    Yes, there is an easy solution. They are shinguards. If you are really concerned about getting hurt, wear some good ones that aren't just soft fabric with an insert. Be sure to get some ones that are hard on the front, but comfortable, because remember, if they aren't comfortable you aren't going to want to wear them. I've got some 661 Race Lite's coming in the mail right now that will bridge the gap between my thin BMX shin guards and my Specialized DH shin guards. Shown here:

Oh, and if you think that shot of my knee looks painful, it was nothing compared to the 10 shots of anestetics they had to give me in the hospital due to my "high pain tolerance" which apparently means that I consequently have a "high pain-killer tolerance". Oh well, I'm all better now, and all I'm left with is 2 and a half nasty scars, and a hyper-sensitive shin.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hasn't happend too bad to me. On the other hand, having sh!tty pedals that don't grip stink as well. I was riding a POS department store bike, and my foot fell off the pedal and went into the gears.
    I had to get tons of stitches, and i had a nice view of my bone, but luckily it didn't hurt because it cut the nerves there too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben
    Yes, there is an easy solution. They are shinguards. If you are really concerned about getting hurt, wear some good ones that aren't just soft fabric with an insert. Be sure to get some ones that are hard on the front, but comfortable, because remember, if they aren't comfortable you aren't going to want to wear them. I've got some 661 Race Lite's coming in the mail right now that will bridge the gap between my thin BMX shin guards and my Specialized DH shin guards. Shown here:

Oh, and if you think that shot of my knee looks painful, it was nothing compared to the 10 shots of anestetics they had to give me in the hospital due to my "high pain tolerance" which apparently means that I consequently have a "high pain-killer tolerance". Oh well, I'm all better now, and all I'm left with is 2 and a half nasty scars, and a hyper-sensitive shin.
    please report how good/bad are they after you'll ride in them, if they stay in place and if they are easy to pedal in,
    thnx

Salsa Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    please report how good/bad are they after you'll ride in them, if they stay in place and if they are easy to pedal in,
    thnx
    I have been using my friends' pair for quite some time now, and they are comfortable, and very very strong. They are also light, easy to put on, and they breathe well. I would highly reccomend them! Oh, and yes they do stay in place, and are very easy to pedal in because the knee and the shin plastics are two different parts.