A Man Of The Truth

New question here. Pass Through Headset Cap

For those that don't know, you can get headset caps that have a hole in them that you can pass your front brake cable through. When you do this, the front brake no longer interferes with the frame and you can (ignoring rear brake) bar spin forever.

The basic one of these is the A-Headset Hollow Cap
    Aheadset Hollow Top Cap/Starnut Assembly | Jenson USA

I've used those before and they work great at first. But the problem is that the brake cable comes straight out of the top and loops back down. So the cable tends to get real bad kinks in it. It doesn't take much of an unlucky impact where something, be it you or a ramp, hits the top of your fork steerer and thats bad news for the brake cable.

What I need is some better solution. On a BMX bike, this style of pass through is fine because the handlebars go up so much higher. It protects the cap. But on a mountain bike style bike, that hight and protective shield just isn't there.

I was thinking maybe someone makes some kind of hard noodle tubing you could somehow attach to your cable, giving it a minimum bend diameter that you physically couldn't exceed. But of course that would probably just pop off and then you'd kink the cable right below it?

On facebook someone suggested the "Gravity Whip Cap" which is an interesting solution. Instead of going through the bolt, it goes next to it, through a cap in the star nut's "stars", and then through an angled hole in the cap. With a cap like that, the cable would be essentially kink-proof, because the force that would kink the A-Headset model would just put crushing force with the Whip Cap. And there won't be enough crushing force to do any damage at all to a modern hydraulic brake cable.

But even that great solution doesn't work. The reason why: It's only available in 1.5"! This seems really weird to me. I know regular mountain bikes are all going with oversized tires and headsets these days, but I thought dirt jumpers were pretty much sticking with classic sizes? I know my brand new DJ fork is still 1 1/8 all the way through. I've searched high and low, all over the internet, and I cannot find this cap in 1 1/8th. I've even contacted local bike shops to see if it showed up in they're ordering system, but nope. It USED to exist, people have seen them on 1 1/8th bikes in the past, but no more.
    Gravity Whip Cap and Star Nut | Jenson USA
    Check out my Mountain Bike Keychains on eBay

Pro Crastinator
    i'm confused. you say the gravity whip cap is just a typical style cap/starnut drilled out with an angled hole, why are you not able to figure out how to drill your own top cap at an angle?

A Man Of The Truth
    Because I don't work at a machine shop, and thats not something you're going to be able to do with a regular hand drill or even a drill press

Pro Crastinator
    it's quite simple. i've done it dozens of times over the past 15-20 years with a drill or cordless screwdriver...

A Man Of The Truth
    Ive got plenty of spare caps laying around, you want to make me one if I mail it to you?

Pro Crastinator
    sure. check your pm's