mtbr member
    Apr 2010

P series geometry ever change?

how has the P series Geo. changed over the years, or has it?

im considering a used 2004 P3 (long size), if i go to a LBS and test ride 2011 model will it feel the same?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourne84 View Post
    how has the P series Geo. changed over the years, or has it?

im considering a used 2004 P3 (long size), if i go to a LBS and test ride 2011 model will it feel the same?
    i'm pretty sure it did change. i believe they made the back end shorter. they are also now designed for shorter axle-to-crown 80mm travel forks instead of 100mm forks. i don't know if the top tube length for the Long has changed....

in comparing MTBMX frames.. the "reach" measurement is actually more important that than the actual or effective top tube measurements, since those vary with the seat tube angle. very few companies list this stat though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup^.

A lot has changed about the P series. Check Spesh's website--all of them are archived, along with tech specs and geo. I went through them all when I decided to build up a DJr. I got a 2004 P2 frame--it's the same as the P3--and make it rock. It's a bit heavy, but I haven't broken it, despite 6ft drops, 30ft jumps, freeriding at Snowshoe when I didn't use my FS. Awesome frame.
    Also, I can't remember, but I think all the 2011s are cromo, no?

Pro Crastinator
    fwiw, p-bikes of that era had headtubes made of beer cans...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Best beer I never opened, then...

But really, Hucker, how so? I haven't seen nor heard of problems with them, and I've given mine a thorough tossing. In earnest, where's your info from?

Pro Crastinator
    if you haven't heard of or seen p-bike of that era with ovalized headtubes, you aren't doing enough research. it's a pretty well known issue and i've had several friends go thru multiple frames (their originals and the crash replacements as well) not to mention the tons of others all documented here on this site. it might be a little difficult to search for them, since by now they'd be buried under another 6 years of threads..
    trust your boy, i may clown around and make more jokes than usual, but you will learn that any information i give out regarding bikes and parts of bikes to be like the gospel. i've been at this game for 30 years now and know my way around the rodeo...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Huck, You're right; I didn't do enough--or specific enough--research; I did find a few mentions in old forums about the ovalization. I hadn't searched for it because when I asked around, no one bashed it. In fact, it was one Spesh bike they didn't have qualms with, aside from its weight. Yet, there it is.
    However, I think I avoided that problem by dropping in a deep cup headset when I built up the frame; common sense to do that with any frame--especially aluminum--that's going to fly.
    So, Jborne, there you go.

Yep, Huck, if you can't poke and joke at it, you really can't take it seriously. I'm with you there. And I trust folks, but I always check sources. Gotta be rigorous. I bet you're with me on that. Thanks for the knowledge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    been FRing/DJing an '04 P4 since '05 and I can attest to its strength/longevity. Its a tank and loves to catch air, I highly recomend it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well the dude sold it to someone else... ahhgggg, thanks for all the info anyway though, its still useful as i continue my search for used

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi guys,
    I am interested in getting back in the game a bit...been away from thrashing for while. I would like to get a bike that I can do some trials/urban bashing, short cruises around town with the family, etc.... More of an all-arounder I have been looking at a P2 and Santa Cruz Jackal. But like I said been out of the game for a while and these style bikes remind me of my old single gear trials rig but with with gears....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey guys...new here, just picked up a P3, but unsure of the year. Found it on CL, was wanting a DJ bike, and this was in my price range. How can you tell what the year is was made in?

Pro Crastinator
    post a pic...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    eh, i need a few more posts before i can post up. I'll get up in a min.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think i found what year i have. I believe it's a 2001, completely stock. How upgradeable are parts for these? I know tires, bars are...but, like updating the front fork, and brakes?