mtbr member
    Jul 2006

NOOB question here on chain guide...

Hi....I'm gonna feel stupid answering this, but I bought my bike used and it has an E13 ring guard and chain guide..I never noticed it before, but is the chain guide supposed to be able to move along the bottom of the chain around the chain ring??? I only noticed it was "out of place" when I landed wrong ON a rock and bashed my ring guard..I guess I whacked the guide too b/c it was moved forward...So I don't know if I actually broke something and that's why it moves/moved OR it's supposed to move along the chain......Thanks for answering my NOOB question...
    Last edited by Styme001; 10-11-2006 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member
    im a bit confused about the explanation of what happened but it sounds like your guide is loose.

I post too much.
    Pics would be helpful, but it sounds like it was loose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah I guess pics would be nice.....Sorry...Basically I'm asking if if the chain guide is supposed to be stationary/immobile or can it/is it supposed to be able to move? Or maybe I will be my LBS NOOB

I post too much.
    You should try your LBS, like you mentionned, they have the advantage of being able to see it.

mtbr member
    Im assuming here so work with me
    If you have a set-up that has a guide on the top and the bottom of the chainring, the bottom roller or guide does both move and is fixed. The roller itself turns while the chain is moving but its position relative to the chainring should remain fixed when adjusted. The bottom roller should be able to be adjusted to different positions. Also, the arm that it is attached to is adjustable. What youre describing sounds like the arm itself is loose allowing the roller to move around. Also check to be sure the roller is tightened to the arm. Loosen all the bolts on the arm and the roller(s), adjust to proper position and then re-tighten everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Cool...I think you hit it right on the head....I'm gonna check al that out...if not it..then to my LBS I go..Hi ho! knowing my luck I broke it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    YUP!!! Broke the the cup...more specifically I stripped it...I gues when I landed on the rock I bashed my chainguide so hard it twisted/stripped the threads on the cup and the bottom bracket....What was done to remedy the problem was put in a cup with more/longer threads so it would catch deeper in the bb..and that's what we did, BUT the chain guide has to go and I dont' think I can put another one on of the same design....the one that held between the BB and the cup....Is there another one that mounts differently like on the seat post tube? Thanks....I have such bad luck!!!!

Meh.
    What? Why can't you use another e-type chainguide? There's no good reason that you can't. I think your shop is just full of it. If you don't have ISCG tabs (or other mounting interface), you absolutely have to use a e-type guide. If you don't need the bottom roller, I suppose you can use an n-gear piece. It mounts on the seattube, and pretty much just doesn't allow the chain to come off.

You can also run an inner plate on the other side of the chainring, or fabricate your own guide/limit. It's certainly not difficult. A hose clamp, and a couple screws/pieces of tubing and you're set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah I'm starting to wonder about my LBS...But whathe said kind adoes make sense...the first 1/8"th of the threads on the bb are stripped....he used a longer/deep cup so it would ctach further in the bb, but not that much further...and putting on the e-type chain guid will just further limit the mount of threads that catch...I mean it'll probably still work, but he would rather have there be more threads to screw into, then letting it happen again....