mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. nooB help - where to start

I want to get into DJ (there are some good places around here) but I have almost no skills. Where would I want to start.

My background:
    18 years riding exp
    more years racing road than I can remember (maybe 8? off an on)
    4 years racing velodrome (cat 2)
    Some MTB xc type riding every year, maybe a 2-3 month period in the winter for fun
    Fall season while track racing would do cyclocross as a "B" and do ok

The last 3 years I have been commuting a few times a week with an occasional MTB or road ride thrown in. I have almost no real fitness anymore but when I watch the guys (kids, when they are 20 years younger than you they suddenly become a "kid") it sure looks like fun.

I have been going over one of the smaller table top type jumps and so far I can take off and land OK - not getting much air or anything, but staying smooth and trying to figure out how to land properly.

What is next?

Things I can do:
    Ride
    Ride lots
    Trackstand
    Trackstand no handed
    Ride teeters/bridges/beams (2x4 for long distances)
    2.5 foot table top jump without ending up in the hopital, but not pulling any tricks or anything

Things I can't do but want to (but what do I learn first):
    Manual
    Bunny hop
    whatever you call it when you lay the bike flat in the air
    roll backs
    tail taps
    maybe a bar spin or 2 would be nice

So. . . any help here?

Thanks

FT

Local Paperboy Hero
    My advice would be to try to start BMX racing if you have a track near you. You'll quickly develop a lot of the skills you're looking for (maybe not tail taps and bar spins... but, those are waaaay down the line). From what I've seen, there is usually an adult cruiser class at most tracks. Other than that, just keep practicing. Sounds like you're on the right track by practicing on a small table. Get real comfortable on that and then try to move up to bigger tables or small doubles. I wouldn't worry about tricks until you've mastered jumping at least medium size jumps.

Oh, and to answer your question, learn how to bunnyhop first. There have been several threads posted on here that should help you out. Ride on!!!

Premium Member
    I would start by first getting the basics of jumping.

First, learn wheelies so you're comfortable on your balance point.

Then learn manuals.

From there learn how to bunnyhop well.

Start applying that to jumps.

Bunnyhops are easy, just a control thing. Lean back, pinch seat, throw bars. Learn by backing your rear wheel up against a fence or wall, sit, put your feet on the ground, and learn to throw the bars.

Then tables, style, etc. will come to you as well as abus/fufus, tail taps, rollbacks, etc.