Local Shop Abuser
    Mar 2009

Newbie Q's Reguarding Gear and resources.

Just went to buy a bike the other day and found out about urban and freeriding. So I did some research and came up with the mullet ss to buy and use as a starter bike . Is that a good choice or do you have something better that isn't going to cost more then say 800? I figured I" ll need some basic gear to get me up and running. Any suggestions on what to get? I am in the chicagoland area (wheaton to be exact) and am looking for places to ride that are fairly easy but will help me gain some skills at the same time.

The mullet I am looking at buying brand new for 700 with free maintenance and lifetime support. Anybody found it for cheaper?

Also what does DJ and urban mean exactly?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    DJ = Dirt jumping. Self explanatory.

Urban = Riding "street" as they call it in BMX. Flatgorund, stairs, hips, banks, whatever you see when roaming the city. Really fun in groups, especially some night sessions when the weather is much more manageable (depends on location of course). It's all about having a good time on your bike.

The bike sounds like a good deal, especially with free maintenance. I'd say pull the trigger.

As for gear, definitely get your hands on a brain bucket (I use a generic skateboarding helmet) and some gloves. Shin guards are optional, but could help save your shins from some ugly wounds.

Local Shop Abuser
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the picture explanations I needed that. Do I buy biking gloves, bmx gloves or crotch rocket gloves? Also what brands are good? As for the helmet would I benefit more from a bmx helmet or an actualy bike helmet? What brands and types are good? Same for shin guards? Reguarding shoes. Any specific type to wear thats better then another type. Need new shoes anyways so if you have any suggestions let me know.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I can offer you some advice on gloves, as I was just looking for some.

In my experience, the "cycling" gloves available are cheaply made and overpriced, IE Fox Dirtpaw and Da Kine.

In all honesty, the impact mechanix gloves are less expensive and about twice as tough.

One of my riding buddies recommended a glove by a company called Shift, but I have never seen them.

Don't buy gloves unless you have a chance to try them on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Shoes: Vans with the waffle comb soles. They're flat, comfy, and the sole is perfect for the pins on bike pedals.

Other skate shoes can work although I think vans are your best bet.

For shin guards, I like my fox launches. Ive had them for two years and have had no problems. The roach's are supposedly good, a lot of my friends rock them

Gloves, you might want to check your local bike shop. Get something with a good fit and looks like will last. I've been sporting fox and 661 gloves.

For a helmet, you basically have two choices. A half shell like you see in the picture of the guy doing the manual or a full face. My half shell is something I picked up from a skate shop for like $20, and I also have a full face for more serious stuff. My fullface was a fox rampage, which did the job until I decided to retire it and try something new. My Fly Racing "Chaos" helmet just arrived. No rides on it yet but the fit and weight are good, I'm digging it so far.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Go for that Mullet if your psyched on it. If you will be doing some trail riding too then it will suit you well. As far as gear everyone else has given good suggestions... I ride in nothing but Vans and always will. They have been around since the beginning and support skaters/riders and the like. They even have numerous public skateparks that even allow bikes (unlike some of the new "athletic" shoe brand competition). The sole's and the uppers last forever. Riding a full-face on the street is kind of weird, it's better suited for off-road (personal opinion of course...) Try on a couple of different pairs of gloves at some bike shops and go from there. I work in bike gloves after going through mechanix way too often. I I get a good 3 months out of a pair of Dakine gloves at work compared to a little over a single month with Mechanix. The sides of the fingers are always the first to go on them. I'd stick with bike specific gloves, plus it supports the industry...

Local Shop Abuser
    Mar 2009
    Thanks guys for the information I really appreciate it. Def gonna get some bike gloves and probably just wear khakis while Im riding so I don't have to buy shin guards right away. Gotta pickup some vans to. Anybody find a place that are cheap? Maybe a specific site online?

What do you guys wear while riding?

@jgill Ur beginning sentence sounds like u disagree with the Mullet. If you are voice it bro cause I don't know much and would like to get some opnions before I buy.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I personally always liked the Mullet. Fisher bikes are solid. Plus it's got that cool eccentric bb if you're going SS.

Personally, I always advocate researching and buying a badass frame and building up from there. You can usually get a better bike w better gear this way for the same price as buying complete, but it takes some time and many parts may need to come used.

Jgill, I can't necessarily agree with you on buying cycling specific gloves because it supports the industry. Most of the manufacturers are motocross anyway; plus, they're designed to only last a season or two. One can see this by simply reading through the glove reviews.

I bought the Fox Dirtpaws and returned them a few days later after trying on the Mechanix Impacts. I also tried on the DaKine StepUp; this glove was really thin. The orginal mechanix are weak, I agree, but the impacts are solid and $10 less than the dirtpaws and the DaKines. Plus, they're not flashy and name brand oriented, which lends itself to dedication on function, IMO. I had a pair of mechanix gloves I used when I worked in the offroad shop for 2 years before they needed to be replaced.

mtbr member
    I tell anyone to stay away from bicycle-specific riding gloves.. go to your local MX/moto dealership, and pick up a set of cumfy MX gloves. They're similar to bicycle gloves, but they last twice as long. For the same price. And damn that free maitenence thing is a STEAL

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex
    Thanks guys for the information I really appreciate it. Def gonna get some bike gloves and probably just wear khakis while Im riding so I don't have to buy shin guards right away. Gotta pickup some vans to. Anybody find a place that are cheap? Maybe a specific site online?

What do you guys wear while riding?

@jgill Ur beginning sentence sounds like u disagree with the Mullet. If you are voice it bro cause I don't know much and would like to get some opnions before I buy.
    No way dude, it's a good bike at a good price! I'd rather be on the Mullet than a dedicated dj bike if I were doing any kind of trail riding (trails not jumps). In my opinion, it's an underrated bike that works great at the price point for the kind of riding you mentioned that you will be doing. With the more chill geometry it will be a little more comfortable when you need to put in a couple of miles in the woods... A buddy of mine had one for awhile and I spent a little time on it on and off road...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh, and cheap Vans on-line...http://www.6pm.com/n/search.cgi?q=vans.

Or hit up some skate shops (or the mall now) to check out some Vans in person. x2 on the waffle sole's

mtbr member
    all i wear is a pair of dickies, a pair of high-top vans, thor mx gloves, skate lid. Have the full face and shin guards for 7springs and diablo... but you gotta have the high tops. they kick so much ass for and pedals.

Local Shop Abuser
    Mar 2009
    Thanks guys for the info. I ordered the Mullet yesterday. Should be in Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait. Gotta go to Goodwill and a few thrift stores right now to see if I can get some good pants and shirts to wear.

Local Shop Abuser
    Mar 2009
    Few more questions. I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport and want to know if anybody knows if my 17.5 inch mullet will fit in the back okay or if I have to get a bike rack. I also would like to know if I should get a kickstand for my bike and if so whats a good one to get that won't get in the way?
    Last edited by Annex; 03-20-2009 at 11:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    there is definetly no need for a kickstand at all, you just run the risk of getting it caught on your pants or something while jumping.

It should fit in your cherokee might be a little tight but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I have never been a big fan of Van's shoes I have tried a few different companies but I always come back to DC shoes anything with the pill design on the bottom sticks to my flat pedals almost too well.

I have been wearing a pair of Thor motocross gloves for a few years now without a problem. They have actually been running dual duty as my gloves for street/DJ and for when I ride my dirtbike.