mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Newbie Needs help. What kind of bike is this?

Ok I just switched over from 20 inch to this because being 6 foot 8 a 20 inch is pretty small lol. Anyways I bought this off my friend for $50 and all I know about it is its a Haro single speed dirt jumper with a rock shox Psylo 180mm fork, rhino lyte rims and 5151 cranks. Is this a good setup? I was told that I need to get the forks serviced. Also I read this isnt a good fork for dirt jumping. What do you guys think? also I'm from San Diego(East County Jamul area) any other ridiers from my neck of the woods here?

Meh.
    It's an older Haro Escape frame.

The fork is ok. It's a little on the flexy side. The damping isn't great. They're difficult to service too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I found it a little hard to dirt jump with a real long fork, most people who ride suspension forks on DJ's are in the neighborhood of 80-110mm of travel. The problem is hitting the jump and having a ton of squish can steal your momentum.

mtbr member
    Put your chain back on.

Sinister Bandwagon
    if your running on a small budget and just want to get into the jumping scene then swap out the fork for an older Marz dirt jumper or bomber of ebay, and maybe get yourself a bash guard so you don't tear you leg up on the chainring.

Dirt Jumper
    Sinister DNA / [size=1]Argyle 409[/size]
    Sinister Gruitr / [size=1]Totem Coil[/size]
    Seshin Sh!thawk

Meh.
    If that's a spring loaded tensioner, I would replace it with one that's fixed... like the DMR or Rennen.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    all in all, you could do much worse for 50 bucks.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    well I was already planning on getting new forks and the chains on. I've been riding it everyday. What model frame is it? Thanks Matt

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XJRunner
    well I was already planning on getting new forks and the chains on. I've been riding it everyday. What model frame is it? Thanks Matt

XSL_Will got you in the 1st reply - Haro Escape 8.X - 2001 or 2002 that's been repainted.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.