mtbr member
    Aug 2006

newbie ? about pike forks

im looking to get a rock shox pike in the next month or so but im a newbie so all the diferent types of pikes are confusing me...: u-turn, dual air, pop lock can someone explain these things to me...im not putting too much abuse on the bike now but with my bmx street backround i know its just a matter of time before i do...i plan on riding trails, street and just a lil bit of dirtjumps and drops...i run an 03 dirtjumper fork now and am looking for something a lil lighter.....is there much of a diff between the DJ and the PIKE...ANY other shock suggestions(im open to suggestions)....the reason that im leaning toward a pike is because i read so many good things about them on this forum but there are so may options on the pike that it spins my head...ive seen them range from $500-700+....my range is $500-600..i would rather spend the money now and have the fork last than go cheap and end up getting another later....if i can find one used i'll jump on it but havent had any luck there...thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrivera78
    im looking to get a rock shox pike in the next month or so but im a newbie so all the diferent types of pikes are confusing me...: u-turn, dual air, pop lock can someone explain these things to me...im not putting too much abuse on the bike now but with my bmx street backround i know its just a matter of time before i do...i plan on riding trails, street and just a lil bit of dirtjumps and drops...i run an 03 dirtjumper fork now and am looking for something a lil lighter.....is there much of a diff between the DJ and the PIKE...ANY other shock suggestions(im open to suggestions)....the reason that im leaning toward a pike is because i read so many good things about them on this forum but there are so may options on the pike that it spins my head...ive seen them range from $500-700+....my range is $500-600..i would rather spend the money now and have the fork last than go cheap and end up getting another later....if i can find one used i'll jump on it but havent had any luck there...thanks in advance for any help you can offer
    Pike is MUCH better than a DJ. They're lighter, shorter, stiffer. The dampening is many times better. The Pikes are super adjustable.

U-turn is the travel adjust system. I don't think dual air has u-turn, but the dual air is the most adjustable (as long as you're not opposed to air sprung forks). The Poplock is the remote for the floodgate. It's mounted to the bar. I think it's useless and just clutters the bar.

There aren't many used Pikes because everybody loves them, haha. They're really great forks. If you can find an o5, they should be very cheap right now. Used Pikes end up around 300 usually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    look into the pike 426 without pop lock. it comes in silver only i believe. the black comes with pop lock. the pop lock (handle bar mounted lockout and compression adjust) can be removed easily. its just a small spiring inside the fork. and can be found new for just over $400

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    with a black pike 426 ( the one with poploc) is there a way to still have compression damping w/o using the poploc?

Salsa Shark
    Yes, if you remove the spring that it's attatched to inside the fork. Oh, and by the way, "loc" has a k at the end of it.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben
    Yes, if you remove the spring that it's attatched to inside the fork. Oh, and by the way, "loc" has a k at the end of it.
    if you know how to do it then why dont you show me and its poploc http://sram.com/en/rockshox/accessories/index.php#tab3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    check jenson for correct pics of each model, FYI.
    the poplock conversion to standard stanchion adjustment requires a kit in addition to the spring removal, i read it here, it must be true.

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    check jenson for correct pics of each model, FYI.
    the poplock conversion to standard stanchion adjustment requires a kit in addition to the spring removal, i read it here, it must be true.
    does any one know how much this kit costs and where to get it?.. the poploc is a nice touch for if i want to climb but its just another cable sticking out for DJing and Downhilling

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    no kit needed for pop loc removal. remove the motion control assembly. unscrew the red body from black cap(left handed thread, left to tighten right to loosen) pull out the little spring inside attached to the shaft. re assemble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks for all the replies...i really dont need/want the pop lock feature so my question is 426 or 454...is there really a signifcant weight difference or feel to the shock...if so what is it...is any one smoother than the other....i weigh about 185 give or take(im up and down)...im not too hard on my bike, pretty smooth...i saw these 2 and dont know which would be better for me: 07 Pike 426 Coil U-Turn 95-140mm Silver $417.99.............06 Pike 454 Dual Air 140mm Gray (Includes air pump) $468.99....could either of these forks be set to about 100-110mm or is the travel adjustment only allowed with the U-Turn optioned forks?...thanks
    Last edited by matrivera78; 09-04-2006 at 05:43 PM.

mtbr member
    the 426 actually has cromo steer tube, while the 454 has aluminum. I would rather have cromo than aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    the dual air is not u turn. and on top of the that, the air u turn models only drop to 110mm i believe. just go with the 426 coil. perfect dj/urban fork.

mtbr member

Great Prices

Quote Originally Posted by matrivera78
    07 Pike 426 Coil U-Turn 95-140mm Silver $417.99.............06 Pike 454 Dual Air 140mm Gray (Includes air pump) $468.99
    I'm looking to get one also.....where are you finding these prices?

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bross77
    I'm looking to get one also.....where are you finding these prices?
    Ebay!!! i got a new pike 426 for $380

mtbr member
    fiddy_rider Question, once you take out the spring, can you then adjust the compression manually by twisting the cap manually? I was told by RS that I had to buy a new top cap and motion control damper.
    Thanks Bob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!