Thread: newb questions

mtbr member

newb questions

Hi all, I am new here, Ive been riding for a good while (13 years or so) and am finally getting into DJ/urban riding. I started riding bmx when i was young, and having been XC for a while.

My three bikes:
    1.Custom chopper style I build w/ banana seat, sissy bar, ape hangers, 34" thriple tree fork, discs, etc...
    2. Gary Fisher Tarpon-a budget bike for college commutes, I bought it three years ago and have made several upgrades to the drivetrain but thats about it.
    3. Scott Voltage yz3, SS, odyssey saddle, new pedals (not sure of the brand)

Now my question, I bought some flat easton carbon bars a while ago, On my scott I mostly do street riding, with some occasional DJ but there arent mant big jumps in the area that ive found. Could I put these carbons on my Scott or no? Im not as crazy as many on this board. They are so light its tempting.

Also, ive been using the rapid fire shifters with the brake lever for a while, what would be a good set of brake levers to buy, it has disc brakes.

Thanks all, and thanks for all the info provided on these forums.

mtbr member
    Riding street and DJ's is going to put a massive amount of stress on your bike and it's parts. And sooner or later, you're going to dump it. Some of us dump it quite regularly.
    I wouldn't not use carbon parts on your street/DJ bike. I just don't think they are durable enough. One crash or ding..... and expensive to replace. Use some good quality aluminum or steel bars.

mtbr member
    thanks for the advice man, i went ahead and put them on my gf and they seem pretty solid for what i do with that bike.

I post too much.
    Avid levers work pretty well if you have mechanical brakes.