Thread: newb question

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

newb question

Looking to build up a addict frame SS. Do I need to buy a specific type of wheelset or can any DH/Jump/Urban wheelset be set up for a SS? Also what type of wheelset would you recommend for no more than $300 (I really like the white rims)? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpsu31
    Looking to build up a addict frame SS. Do I need to buy a specific type of wheelset or can any DH/Jump/Urban wheelset be set up for a SS? Also what type of wheelset would you recommend for no more than $300 (I really like the white rims)? Thanks
    Well for a SS setup it all basically depends on the rear hub...you could try to find a rear wheel that comes with a dedicated SS hub, or you could just go with one that has an ordinary 8 or 9 speed hub...but you would have to use spacers with the single cog. you could also buy a SS kit that comes with everything you need. as for a wheelset....if you are looking for a 26" set, the 07 Azonic Outlaws come in white...and they are well under 300 i believe.

Pro Crastinator
    i use a standard 8 speed hub with spacers...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    do you have to buy the spacers seperatly or do the come with the hub or chainring?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have never seen a single speed setup with two different sized rear cogs on it. Can you switch between the two, cause that would be awsome.

mtbr member
    I think the cog on the outside functions as a lockring. But on any SS setup cogs can be switched out in a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpsu31
    do you have to buy the spacers seperatly or do the come with the hub or chainring?
    yep you do have to buy the spacers seperatly
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson605
    I have never seen a single speed setup with two different sized rear cogs on it. Can you switch between the two, cause that would be awsome.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbray101
    I think the cog on the outside functions as a lockring.....
    correct, the outside cog is there because the cap that hold everything in place is serrated on the inside of the flange. the outer cog is serrated on the outside to prevent unscrewing while the cap is screwed into place. if you use the spacers, the serrated flange has nothing to bite against and will constantly unscrew itself against the smooth surface of the spacer. a typical ss kit that uses one really wide spacer on each side has the serrated outer edge, but then you are limited to the chainline provided by the kit. with the spacers, i can line up the chain wherever i choose.....