Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New to urban. No clue.

I ride my 5inch travel FS mtb on the trails and i have a city commuter i built up for around town. Im looking to get into hopping around and busting my butt like a jackass in the park and concrete areas around town.

Im 5'9 and right a medium frame mtb (17") How does sizing/geo differ and what do i look for for my size in a frame? I have a set of 26" disc only wheels and a handfull of other parts for a complete build except a fork. I notice a lot of street bikes are 20" and 24". is 26" mainly for dirt jumping? is it not worth going to the park with a 26" wheeled urban bike? do they even make those? sorry for being a noob... Thanks in advance.

Just shutup and ride.
    26" will do just fine. Don't worry what others are riding. Do what feels right for you.

mtbr member
    Giant STP, GT Rukus, BlkMrkt Mob etc. Check those out for a start
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I ride my 5inch travel FS mtb on the trails and i have a city commuter i built up for around town. Im looking to get into hopping around and busting my butt like a jackass in the park and concrete areas around town.

Im 5'9 and right a medium frame mtb (17") How does sizing/geo differ and what do i look for for my size in a frame? I have a set of 26" disc only wheels and a handfull of other parts for a complete build except a fork. I notice a lot of street bikes are 20" and 24". is 26" mainly for dirt jumping? is it not worth going to the park with a 26" wheeled urban bike? do they even make those? sorry for being a noob... Thanks in advance.

this is the typical (contemporary classic) geometry/setup for a dirt jumper. the term 'urban' is vague, so i'll assume you mean bmx style jumping and street riding (bunnyhopping stuff, 180 bunnyhops etc., manuals, skatepark riding etc.).

Blackmarket Soldier:

there are also 20" wheel and 24"

mtbr member

this is the typical (contemporary classic) geometry/setup for a dirt jumper. the term 'urban' is vague, so i'll assume you mean bmx style jumping and street riding (bunnyhopping stuff, 180 bunnyhops etc., manuals, skatepark riding etc.).

Blackmarket Soldier:

there are also 20" wheel, 22" wheel (rare), 24" wheel, and 26" wheel BMX bikes.

Picture request: side by side 20" and 24" BMX

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IamDefiler View Post
    26" will do just fine. Don't worry what others are riding. Do what feels right for you.
    +1 ..at 5'9" you could ride anything.

IMO if you master a 20" you'll either take to a big bike like a fish to water- or never go back to a big bike again.

mtbr member
    Ride what you think would be fun.

I'm 5'2" and I love my 26" urban bikes (to the point where I grabbed the second one). I like my 20" BMX, but the mtb's are just a little more fun for me. I am interested in scooping up a 24" at some point... but I have too many bikes right now.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post

Blackmarket Soldier:

there are also 20" wheel and 24"
    Good info!
    I'm yet to decide on whether a Phantom or a Two6Player. Do you think a Phantom is easier to manual & bunnyhop? I can get the Phantom cheaper since its pre-owned. Which of the two is more versatile as well? What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaneshiro76 View Post
    I'm yet to decide on whether a Phantom or a Two6Player. Do you think a Phantom is easier to manual & bunnyhop? I can get the Phantom cheaper since its pre-owned. Which of the two is more versatile as well? What do you guys think?
    i've never heard of a "Phantom" . . . . like this? Dawes Phantom Boys 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

the Dartmoor Two6Player appears to be a much better bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i've never heard of a "Phantom" . . . . like this? Dawes Phantom Boys 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

the Dartmoor Two6Player appears to be a much better bike....
    It's from the same brand.. check this out:
    Phantom | D A R T M O O R
    or this:
    Rowery Asów: Robert Kulesza i Dartmoor Phantom 2012*|*JoyRide

It's like an inch bigger than the Two6Player.. but most of their DJ athletes use Two6Players and Codys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I see this as my cheapest bet for my intro. I plan to use it in the street mainly.
    Jamis Komodo Frame '09 > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike frames | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It only comes in the 14"
    Would that be too small for me at 5'9?
    I ride an 18" trace x mtb but not sure how that compares to the 14/16" dj bikes.

If i get this i plan on using a rigid fork and 175mm cranks.

There is also this
    http://www.psyclestore.com/products.php?product=Nummers-Singlespeed-Urban{47}DJ-Frame

Which would be better for street riding and hopping around? The geos are way different on those too.

the nummers will have a rigid for also.

edit -

Also found this Brand-X Dirt Jump Frame MK III | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    it comes in a 15"
    Last edited by kikoraa; 06-19-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I see this as my cheapest bet for my intro. I plan to use it in the street mainly.
    Jamis Komodo Frame '09 > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike frames | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It only comes in the 14"
    Would that be too small for me at 5'9?
    I ride an 18" trace x mtb but not sure how that compares to the 14/16" dj bikes.

If i get this i plan on using a rigid fork and 175mm cranks.

There is also this
    http://www.psyclestore.com/products.php?product=Nummers-Singlespeed-Urban{47}DJ-Frame

Which would be better for street riding and hopping around? The geos are way different on those too.

the nummers will have a rigid for also.

edit -

Also found this Brand-X Dirt Jump Frame MK III | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    it comes in a 15"
    If you want to ride rigid and street, you should probably go with a chromoly frame.. most street riders prefer it to aluminum because it flexes. Normally you want the bike to fit like a glove. At 5'9 I would buy as small as it comes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I cant find anything chromo in that similar pricepoint. I would like to find a cheaper frame like the 3 mentioned so I don't invest too much if I don't get into it.

What kind of geo should I look for if I only intend to ride street with some skate park type obstacles? All of them seem to have similar top tube lengths but standover and rear tri geos are very different. I like the komodo frame and I can get the 14 or 16.5 used but just not sure if that will be good for what I intend to use it for.

I'm not planning on doing big air/drops. Just tables rails steps and such.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Take some pics of these other parts you have. They may or may not be suitable. I assume you're gonna do single speed ? (if not, you should! )

If price is the main concern, you could buy the DK Xenia from Walmart.com for $299. It's a chromoly frame and the geo is good. I cant necessarily vouch for the qualit but i know the pre-Walmart DK Xenia was excellent--very durable. There's another thread about them on here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That Nummers looks ok.. I would look to buy a used complete for sure. Building a bike is 10x more expensive. As far as the geo goes, I wouldn't worry as much about the standover and rear triangle- you probably aren't good enough to feel the difference. Since you're new to BMX you'll get used to anything just the same. Just make sure the chain stays are as short as possible. (easier for bunny hops and manuals)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the chainstay tip.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I also already have a bb/crank/ wheelset new 3/32nd chain and new 1/8th chain, a stem, some rotors, handfull of seatposts. I'm sure one aol fit. I'm looking at a used giant stp 14" and komodo 16.5"

I will be going ss/rigid

I think my best bet is the stp. Also looking for a p2
    Found a kona scrap but don't see much info about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im picking up an stp frame this weekend. 14" includes a whole cockpit got a great deal on it.

The only thing I will need is a fork, front/rear rings and chain. Should have it ready by Sunday. I'll post pics when its done! Thanks for all the help guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Im picking up an stp frame this weekend. 14" includes a whole cockpit got a great deal on it.

The only thing I will need is a fork, front/rear rings and chain. Should have it ready by Sunday. I'll post pics when its done! Thanks for all the help guys.
    right on!

mtbr member

Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wow! Sounds good! Anyone know whether a 4x/dual bike can do DJ/street and park as well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaneshiro76 View Post

Wow! Sounds good! Anyone know whether a 4x/dual bike can do DJ/street and park as well?
    Whether you can 'do' something on a bike versus whether it is optimal for it is two different things. Dual-sus 4 cross bikes are intended for rough rugged bmx-style tracks on the side of a mountain. Typically guys have 1 X 9 gears, 2 brakes, knobby tires.

For DJ, guys prefer hard tails and single speed and one brake. For park/street guys ride a DJ bike (with sus fork) or modify it even further, by running rigid fork and smoother tires. Sometimes no brakes, sometimes 2 brakes, sometimes 1 brake.. Sometimes pegs.

Check out some videos, see what you are in to.

Oxy
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Blkmrkt riot

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Whether you can 'do' something on a bike versus whether it is optimal for it is two different things. Dual-sus 4 cross bikes are intended for rough rugged bmx-style tracks on the side of a mountain. Typically guys have 1 X 9 gears, 2 brakes, knobby tires.

For DJ, guys prefer hard tails and single speed and one brake. For park/street guys ride a DJ bike (with sus fork) or modify it even further, by running rigid fork and smoother tires. Sometimes no brakes, sometimes 2 brakes, sometimes 1 brake.. Sometimes pegs.

Check out some videos, see what you are in to.

Thanks sir! I'm still sideways on which frame to choose. Especially since the distributor's been pretty dodgy from the start. I rang this week and now he's trying to force me to pre-order. 'says deadline is in a few days and I gotta make downpayment otherwise its gonna be a few months wait again. Plus his prices vary from the their actual site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
    Blkmrkt riot
    I got an offer on a pre-owned riot but it's price is really very close to a brand new item which will allow me to choose colours. But yes I've heard so many nice things about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast