Thread: New rig time

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New rig time

Ok so I am looking to upgrade the rig for next summer. I currently ride a '07 eastern night train, with a argyle RC 80mm fork, I like the bike, it rides well still but it is old, the geo feels a bit off and it is kind of heavy. I didn't really know what I was missing until I rode a few friends bikes, over the last few months I took some rides on some P bikes of varying years '09, '11, '12 and '13 (popular bike) '10(I believe) deity crypt keeper, a morpheus and a '10 NS metropolis

the big thing I noticed was the rear end on all of them felt shorter and more playful and the weight was quite a bit less also something I couldn't put my finger on but I liked it. I enjoyed the crypt keeper, ns and the '13 p bike a lot.... but everyone has a P bike

So some of the bikes I have narrowed it down to are:

Transition BLT

Transition PBJ

Deity Crypt Keeper

Spank Spoon one2one

I am open to other suggestion but what I am really looking for is if anyone has first hand experience with any of these bikes or multiple of these bikes and can give honest feed back.

I can look at the Geo's and spec charts all day and point out the subtle differences, one has this much BB drop over this one or has this HA but it is tough to tell what difference that will make and unfortunately I can't really ride all these bikes before hand.

Oh and I ride mostly dirt and some park in the summer time with a dabble of street but in the winter I ride quite a bit of Park, at the indoor skate parks and travel to some of the MTB parks like rays...

Thanks

mtbr member
    The zero bb drop on the BLT is going to be a key difference among those bikes. I'd like to try it. My Union Street Molly Maguire 24" park bike has zero bb drop. My impression is that it makes DJ bike feel more like a bmx cruiser and less like a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm not sure 100% what it is I like about those other bikes and I'm not 100% sure the specs on the eastern. I know bmx museum has it but I don't think they are 100% accurate. I checked the HA on that bike with a inclinometer as I have it set up now with a 80mm fork and it reads 68.5 degrees and the specs I find on line say 72 so that is a big discrepancy. I would have to actually measure out the frame to accurately compare but I know something was different. I'm thinking of making a spread sheet to compare all the geo specs side by side of the bikes I've rode and and the bikes I'm looking at. just have to find the time.

The zero BB drop has me interested, I think it will feel more like a modern BMX bike which should make it more agile...

beater

New rig time

Subscribed. I'm starting to look for my first, and the Transitions have me interested. Probably the PBJ, although I'm a little intrigued by the BLT. I've been taking turns on friends' DJs and BMXs here and there, and trying to get an idea of what I want for myself.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The BLT just looks like it would be a more playful bike only going of the geo. I also asked a buddy that is a fox rep what he thought and he said he rode it at aptos and said the bike is a blast. One of the best Dj bikes, not cumbersome at all like most Dj bikes. So I don't know. It would be nice to test ride one but unfortunately that probably won't be an option for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I have reached out to a few of my industry contacts I know and a few have rode the BLT and one owns one. I might be able to get a test ride next time I’m out his way, I’ll post up my thoughts if I do. None have ridden the PBJ. They all said they loved the BLT, one said it was his favorite DJ bike to date.
    The consensus was:
    BLT over PBJ unless you are hitting big higher speed jumps on a regular basis
    The BLT is very versatile as it is good on street, park and normal sized dirt jumps
    The BLT feels and responds more like a BMX bike- easy to spin and manual
    Doesn’t really have a ride feel like most dj bikes, it feels more like a BMX bike. It is quick and responsive, not cumbersome and is very predictable.
    In the right weight range, doesn’t feel heavy or sluggish.
    Pretty much all things that I figured just looking at the geo’s unfortunately not really able to find much on the internet about the bikes… couldn’t really find any reviews on them…. So asked around and the responses confirmed my initial thoughts…

I hope this helps some other that are looking at this bike... I know it gave me a little perspective, unfortunately there isn't much out there for reviews on these bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Dude its a 2011 bs metropolis! Good thread so far.

beater
    I've more or less decided on the BLT, and suggested that my friend consider becoming a Transition dealer to get a percentage of that business. He's moving ahead on the dealer agreement, and is also planning to have a stock of rental DJ bikes. If the timing works out, I may be able to try both a BLT and a PBJ before I buy. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm assuming your buddy owns a bike shop... where you located? i'm guessing it is too far away anyways... oh well... if you do get to ride both please post up... I cannot find any reviews on the BLT... and very little on the PBJ... kind of a bummer

i've emailed Transition directly to ask for more information or some incite but they never even emailed me back....

beater

New rig time

Yes, he does. The Garage, in Helena, MT.

I will do.

EDIT: and the first one is here.
    Last edited by evasive; 12-20-2013 at 06:24 PM.