mtbr member
    Feb 2014

New to mtb Dirt jumping.... I have some questions

Hey everyone well im new to mtb dirt jumping but ive ridden trails on a bmx bike since i was young and i wanted to try something bigger. Well im not exactly tall or big for my age im about 5,5 and im 15. And basically i wanted to know if i will have much difficulty jumping on a 26 inch. And if I should look at some 24 inch dj bikes. Well overall im just looking for suggestions. Thanks..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    first off I have a question. You ride a 20 inch now? Is there a reason you want to go to a bigger bike or just experimenting/playing around? first thing you will find, IMO, is that bigger wheels cost more. The bigger wheel will be more stable in the air and a little heavier, harder to move around- requiring a bit more input into your riding style.
    I would personally think you would be better off on smaller wheels but if you do want to try something bigger you would be able to ride either 24 or 26. the 24 would probably feel more like your 20 now.
    I'd recommend trying some of the local riders bikes out prior to purchasing one, see what you like

mtbr member
    I agree with cglasford. I don't think you'll have difficulty with 26"s. But 24"s will feel snappier for street/park tricks (like, you'll be able to get behind the rear wheel for manuals a little better).

But, like Andreu Lacondeguy is pretty short and he's on 26"s.
    LACON DE CATALONIA - Andreu Lacondeguy - YouTube

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well I really enjoyed riding downhill on mtbs last year and the year before and now i just want a challenge so i wanna try jumping a 26inch. Thats pretty much it though but thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well go get it than... I would try a few out before investing the money but it wont hurt anything for you to ride 26inch! have fun!