Thread: New Molly Build

Bikes Rule

New Molly Build

Grabbed a used Molly frame and began stripping the paint today. It was previously painted white. I have yet to decide on the new color, but I did receive in some new goodies to go on. Yes I love Profile..

The complete build thus far:

USB Molly Maguire
    Manitou Gold Label (lowered to 80mm), 3/8
    Profile SS Mini rear, 14mm hollow CrMo axle, Ti nuts, Ti 10t driver, 36
    Profile SS Mini front, Ti bolts, 36
    Sun/Ringle Rhyno Lite XL, 36 hole laced with purple alloy nipples
    Profile Race cranks, 170mm, Ti spindle, Ti bolts, Spanish BB
    Profile Mark Mullville stem, Ti bolts
    Profile clamp
    NemPro 2.6 bar
    King Headset
    Tree Lite splined, 22t
    Proper rear brake
    Odyssey Mono Lever
    Animal pivotal post
    Macneil SL pivotal seat
    MG-52 pedals
    KMC 710SL chain
    Grips (undecided)
    Kenda K-Rads

The king is on fire
    I can't beleive you actually spent that much on a stem.
    Have fun.

Bikes Rule
    I have 3 other bikes that all have Thomson stems. I am used to it.

dirt rules
    2.2:1 on 24s? Be prepared to spin your balls off.

Bikes Rule
    Well it should be slightly above the gearing on my Mob which is a 24/12 x 26 = 52.0. So the Molly sets up as 22/10 x 24 = 52.8. I really have no need for anything harder given the way I ride and the locations.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Damn!
    Sounds like an incredible build!!
    Can't wait to see it finished...
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    May 2007
    mmm purple profile.

I was gonna build up a BMX racer with the old profile purple awhile ago, but never go around to it.

now finish building it

Bikes Rule
    Everything will be coming together this week. Priming the frame tonight. I am still waiting for the rims, nipples, spokes, chain and tires to come in. Then I have to build the wheels and put everything on. I figure this weekend it should be completed..

Meh.
    Tease.

The king is on fire
    Thomsons aren't expensive, if you paid retail for that profile they're 160+

anywho my stem is lighter and I paid less ;p (joke)
    Have fun.

Bikes Rule
    Nope. EP prices on Profile Racing from my shop. That is really the only way I could buy this stuff. Even retail price from Profile with the Ti bolts in purple is only $145.

http://www.profileracing.com/profile...?productid=296

The stem with CrMo bolts weighs 279g (on a calibrated lab balance). I am waiting for the Ti bolts to come in as Profile was out of them at the time. I really wanted a purple stem to fit a 22.2mm clamp diameter. Plus the stem looks amazing.
    Last edited by Demo-9; 02-17-2009 at 05:18 AM.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Demo-9
    You could answer this for me. Why do DJ and Street bikes tend to go 22.2mm diameter bars? I have been on deity bars at 31.8mm and feel safe with that especialy on drops. I have been looking in on DJ and street riding vids and bikes alot lately and this is one thing that stands out to me.
    I just want to ride.

Bikes Rule
    Juan - Good question. I assume that a lot of guys go with a BMX style front end. For me I wanted to go different than my normal build. I have 3 bikes - one DH, one FR and one DJ and all 3 have 31.8mm bars/stem set-ups. I really like the 31.8. But with this build I wanted the high rise bar and pretty much NemPro bar was what I wanted. Also wanted a Profile stem in purple to match.

I could have went with a high rise 25.4mm bar/stem but I wanted something with a bit more BMX flavor. Since the frame uses 990 brakes and 110 x 14mm rear end, I figured a BMX-ish front end would be neat. Plus this bike is going to be dedicated to street/outdoor park. I will use my Mob for DJ and a few other places.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Cheers demo but I will stick with 31.8 for now, more confirdence and I just feel really comfortable with the backsweep and upsweep angles of the deity. I plan on trying some spank poducts so maybe a 777. I think I already mentioned my hardtail is more of a versatile frame than DJ specific, really beefy for freeride and 4x abilities. It jumps pretty well but after trying a friends Last frame I have never forgotten how well a specific DJ frame manuals and gets of the jump. I have a domain fitted after selling the pike due to constant lip seal issues. But I would like to go back to a lighter shorter travel fork, still undecided. The Cotic feels great at 120mm-140mm and 150mm max for DH runs. I forgot to ask why DJ bikes have steeper head angles? I understand firmer shorter travel forks but why the head angle?
    Rain is forcast for tomoro so the Wildcard is getting stripped done so I can build the Cotic up and then I can play on the track I have built and see what parts I will get. I havent decided how I want the Hardtail setup yet so I need to build it and ride it to check. The good thing is the Domain can be lowered to 115mm which will help me understand the head angle issue on jumps. I was mostly doing Street riding before I stripped it down and I havent ridden it in about 3 months due to parts shortage. Since then I have built a nice track in the garden and I think a hardtail will be wicked. With luck I will start getting a surplus of parts and then get the cheek to buy a frame for them. I already plan on a 3 wheelset between the 2 bikes and another fork for the Cotic and I will keep the Domain so I wont be far off another build. By the time I upgrade parts on both my current bikes I will have it sorted. I have recently posted my garden in the DH forum but I posted a couple of pics here. One shot of part of my track and the current wildcard sharing parts with the Cotic which is on the local hikers trail, wicked fast smooth DH run.
    Cheers for your help
    Photo 2.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

IMG_0109.jpg
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sick spots man!

Bikes Rule
    Update: I have all of the parts in except spokes and tires - which are due in Friday. The frame is primed and the paint color will be purchased and painted this weekend.