Hmm..doughnuts

New hardrock fork

I am wondering if anyone out there has a hardrock (I have a 06) and has put a new fork on it. If you have, tell what it is. I basically want to know how much travel I can get on mine before the headtube angle is crazy. (stock is 70 with 100mm of travel). Specialized didn't recommend past 110mm, but I thought it could handle more. Any suggestions? I do some urban assault (I know my bike isn't the best for it) and some other light riding but want a fork that can take a beating.
    Need to find a cheap Marzocchi DJ3 fork cheap

I post too much.
    Usually, for urban, people tend to stick with very low travel forks, I have seen forks with as little as 45mm of travel!

The head tube angle affects how the bike will handle, the steeper(closer to 90) it gets, the more responsive a bike gets, and this is what most urban riders aim for(without going much past 72 degrees). Downhill bikes need to be stable and so they have slacker head angles(down to 65, even 64 degrees).

This is one of the main reason specialized doesn't recommend more than 110mm on your frame. Secondly, you don't need much more than 100mm when riding urban, you should be riding smoothly and use the fork only to take the edge off of the largest hits. Quality of travel is much better than quantity.

A good rule of thumb is for every 1inch of travel( 25.4mm, to be exact) your head angle will change by 1 degree.

Keep that in mind with your pondering on which fork to get, because getting a taller fork will not only slow down your handling, but past a certain point, it voids the warranty on your frame. It increases the leverage on the head tube, and it can litterally break off from the rest of the frame on large impacts.

Hmm..doughnuts
    I just talked to my friend and he said he heard that the "rule of thumb" was 10mm equals a 1 degree difference. Either way thanks for your thoughts.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by trail trekker
    I just talked to my friend and he said he heard that the "rule of thumb" was 10mm equals a 1 degree difference. Either way thanks for your thoughts.
    I can make the calculations myself but I'm pretty sure it is for every 1 inch.

Hmm..doughnuts
    I don't doubt that it is and I thank you for you exactness.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    i think i'd prolly buy a fork with around the same amount of travel, maybe a little more i guess, but would make sure it was MUCH better quailty. for around 230bucks you can get a 100mm gold label on jeanson i think it is.

other wise i'd look at like a use pike or something.

what is your budget?
    "dropped outta school. no G.E.D. but in these streets i'm a G.O.D."
    -murs

tuck-n-roll master
    Most people don't go past 20mm in either direction from the OEM fork travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

resident dumbass
    I'd definitely get a new fork. None of the stock hardrock forks are very good. Surprisingly, the RST's are decent, but from your avatar I'm guessing you have a Pro? Anyway, I think a Pike would be the best choice for that bike. The hardrock is supposed to be versitile, and the Pike is a versitile fork. Talk to J-dogg. I think he wants to sell his PIke.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Hmm..doughnuts
    Yes, I do have a Hardrock Pro (2006 model). My budget is about $300 ~ish. The stock fork rebounds WAY too fast and there is no adjustability for it. Adjustability and quality are my main concerns above travel (110mm would be preferable since that is the limit my warrenty covers). I was looking at a Marzocchi DJ3. Anyone know how those are?

The Pike fork is a little too pricy, plus I can't use the 20mm through axel unless I get a new hub (which I don't really want to do unless I have to. It just costs more money, it's not that I wouldn't want one).
    Last edited by trail trekker; 10-20-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Meh.
    Depends on the year. 2006 DJs were signifcantly improved. 2003 DJs weren't bad, but has some issues with creaking and cracking. 2004 and 5 DJs were incredibly heavy (read boat anchor). They're on the tall side, and some people experience near-violent top out. For a more intermediate rider, I think the DJ would be a great fork. The DJ3 doesn't have external rebound, does it?

Is dang happy!

Out on a limb here...

I have run a 130 03 dirtjumper on a Hardrock for some light freeride hucking and had no problems over the last 3 years..

If I was to get fork for it today I would pick up a Tora.

A Pike is overkill for that frame IMO and you would need a new wheel.

The 302 is a tank but cheap.($180)
    The 318 has motion control and is lighter, they both have 80-130mm of travel.

resident dumbass
    J-dogg told me he was selling his Pike for 275, but anyway, forget it if you need a new hub.

The 03 DJs are good. I've got an 03 DJ2, and i love the thing. I feel confident that it will never, ever break beyond usage.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Hmm..doughnuts
    I found a 2005 DJ1 on ebay brand new for $250. It DOES have a 20mm through axel, so would it be worth buying a new hub (I found one for $60) and could probably get my Singletrack rims relaced for $25 ish. Does this sound like it would be worth it? Does anyone know anything about the 2005 DJ1 or where I could get a quick release DJ1/2/3 for cheap?

I think the DJ3 has internal rebound adjust. I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just get a Gold Label, and get it in QR if you don't want a new hub.

Hmm..doughnuts
    I can't find a Gold Label with a quick release anywhere. Do they make them?

Mr. Doom said: "I have run a 130 03 dirtjumper on a Hardrock for some light freeride hucking and had no problems over the last 3 years.."

So you have been running a 130mm fork with a hardrock? How does it handle with that much travel and what year is your bike?
    Last edited by trail trekker; 10-20-2006 at 08:21 PM.

I post too much.
    Rock shox revelation 426 u-turn. Solid, you won't need to switch hubs, and there's u-turn travel adjust on it so you'd be able to really dial in the geometry.

http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/allm...velation/#tab1

Hmm..doughnuts
    I calculated that it would cost me about $320 to buy a new 2004 DJ3 (20mm axel) and get all the necessary parts to get it work with my bike. (fork for $180, Marzocchi hub I found for $60, cutter tool for steerer tube for $13, fork pump for $25, relacement cost of hub to my singletrack rim for $25?, and new spokes for $14.) This is of coarse if I choose to get a DJ fork.

Is it worth all the trouble for a 20mm axle opposed to a quick release? Right now my I get mad fork-flex, so I want that to go away. Will a good quick release fork still have this flex, or will it behave better than my current MZ-3?

I looked at the Rockshox Revelation and I can't find it for less than $400, which is a little more than I want to spend. It looks like a good fork though.
    Last edited by trail trekker; 10-21-2006 at 09:19 PM.

I post too much.
    Rock shox are generally very stiff, and honestly, for a QR fork, the revelation is pretty stiff also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you're spending $320 on a fork, a used pike would definitely be the way to go over an 04 dj3, even if it's new. No competition if you ask me. Plus you can use the u-turn to figure out exactly the travel you want. A Pike slaps the 04 dj3 in the face, you'll be glad you got it.

Hmm..doughnuts
    I am not really liking the idea of getting a used fork unless it from someone I know or somewhere where I could test it out.
    Last edited by trail trekker; 10-21-2006 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There are plenty of good pikes on ebay that go for around 200-300. You previously said you were thinking of getting the thru-axle so I didn't think you were still looking for quick release. Thru-axle is definitely stiffer if you're having flex issues.
    Last edited by Fastfwdd; 10-21-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Hmm..doughnuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwdd
    There are plenty of good pikes on ebay that go for around 200-300. You previously said you were thinking of getting the thru-axle so I didn't think you were still looking for quick release. Quick release is definitely stiffer if you're having flex.
    Do you mean a 20mm through axle is stiffer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yes I mean 20mm is noticeably stiffer, not the other way around.