Old No. 7

New Frame and sugestions (x-posted)

And the best part is, it was free. My roommate handed it down to me after her bought his new Duncan Cocker.
    Anyways, today I striped it and painted it. Don't know if you can tell from the pic but it is primer grey w/ clear gloss.
    Not sure what year or model, but it's an older Specialized P series bike, prob. from 04-05.
    Intended use is going to be light freeride, trail ringing, and dirt jumping.

So I have to build this thing up now, and want sugestions.
    So far I'm thinking.
    Fork - Marz 66 rc2x (no adj. travel is a neg.) Marz Z1 fr (know nothing about the fork yet) and Fox 36 (never owned a Fox, kinda wanna give it a shot) Pike U-turn (but I'm a big guy and heard it's not a good choice)
    Sram x9 drive train
    Hussifelt cranks, single ring (or anything cheap but durible)
    Used wheelset
    All parts I'm going to find used, being broke is a drag, and this is my step-child bike / friend loaner so I don't need to pimp it out.
    Any build sugestions is appreciated, this will be my first non DH bike I have to build from nothing.
    Also, any spair part box donations for my build would be great, stems, bars, pedels, seatposts, sadles, rear derailurs, cranks, forks, ect... anything you want to get rid of let me know and I'll pay shipping of course. Also, if you have a spare part you don't want to let go for free, but for a small price, let me know because I may be interested. I'm tring to spend as little as possible (school books and units killed me this semester )
    So yeah, throw out your sugestions and comments and handouts.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ya you wouldnt want to put any of those forks on that bike because they are all way to big. look at the dirtjumper series or the manitou gold labels. I would suggest a 100mm fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ya the geometry of those p. bikes is set up for short travel forks but i have a friend who his his set up with a 5 inch travel dj 3 that came on a bighit and it doesnt feel bad. if your looking at x-9 which i would suggest get the 07 x-9 they did a huge upgrade on at least the shifters the 07 x-9 shifters is almost the same as the 06 x-0.

Premium Member
    For fork, you want a 100mm/4" travel fork. The 36 is too linear. Manitous blow. Pikes are allright. But I think a lowered Z1 by Nemesis Project would be ideal!

mtbr remember
    fred.r, if you're aiming to use it for light FR and trail use, you don't want a custom lowered fork. You want an adjustable travel fork. I know everyone right now wants a lowered Z1 by Nem.P, not just for the drool factor alone, but, it's more of a hardcore, very specific street/park/some dj fork. not at all a FR fork.
    fred.r, you should look at the other range of new Rockshox products hitting the market. Very expensive, but you might find something to fit the bill, cuz I would recommend the Pike for it's versatility, but you seem apprehensive about it due to your weight (which might not even be a problem). something adjustable between, say 100-130mm of travel would be ideal for you and that frame I think. I wasn't designed for a crazy Meat of a fork like the 66, unless you get the 66SL and lower the travel. something with a ridiculous axle to crown length like that puts a huge amount of stress on the short little headtube of a P bike that it wasn't designed to see.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Just put a Manitou Gold Label Series II (100 mm) on my P frame and I'm lovin it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i have a kona shred. I thought more travel might be better( just because i thought more was...better) But it seems that most people think 100mm are good. Is it because when dj you dont want the front higher than the rear. Or these bikes just handle better witha lower fork in front. Thanks for any info.
    98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 2 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went with a Manitou Gold Label Series II with 80mm travel. And its white of course

mtbr remember
    But it seems that most people think 100mm are good. Is it because when dj you dont want the front higher than the rear. Or these bikes just handle better witha lower fork in front. Thanks for any info.
    you kind of answered it there, but-
    it basically comes down to the axle to crown length of the fork, not necessarily just the travel length. A lot of bikes out now were based/designed around a 100mm travel fork, but now some are going to an 80mm for, or around 455mm a2c. This would give optimum geometry for quick handling, flickability, and the likes. When it comes down to street and or dj, you want more flow and pump to your riding, the more susp. travel you have, the more it sucks away all your flow and pump, taking away speed, momentum, and therefore height. but, there are those of us, myself included, who need some susp. just to take the edge off and be more forgiving, vs, a rigid or 20"er.... hope that might clear some things up just a bit.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks bikeSatori, that cleared up all my questions. i probably wont get a 150mm fork than.
    98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 2 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature.

I post too much.
    Just so you know Kona, it's the quality of the travel that matters, not the quantity.