Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    rock hard or hardrock

new fork...no idea

ok well i am looking at forks to go on my hardrock sport (to replace the RST gilla 100mm) since i plan to make it into a DJ but i have no idea what to put on...i was thinking a pike because of the adjustability and it looks so beefy and bad a** but there may be better options i would like it adjustable and strong.....weight is no issue (aslong as it is not a boat anchor) and i have about $500 to spend.......i will not be getting this until atleast feb. but i figure i start looking not....hple me please
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

h-town hucker
    the pike is a good choice. but to have the higher-end forks suck as the pike, dj1, dj2, etc, your going to need a 20mm hub for the 20mm thru axle that goes with the forks.

mtbr member
    yes, you need the 20mm front hub, but you can find those cheap, I think there was a thread on here resently about cheap 20mm thru axle hubs. Then you would just have to pay for the wheel build onto the new hub. Anyway, when you say you want it adjustable, do you mean "adjustable feeling" or "adjustable travel"? Most good dj forks have adjustments like preload, but not many have travel adjustment. I think the pike is the only one. Other options that dont have adjustable travel are rockshox argyle (rockshoxs new dj specific fork) and Manitou gold label. My personal favorite is the gold label. plus you can get it in quick release so you dont have to buy a new hub, or since you can get them for like $350 on Pricepoint (i think?), you could still get 20mm thru axle and you would have extra money for a good front hub and wheel build

resident dumbass
    Either a pike or a used sherman firefly (110mm-150mmish). XSL_Will knows the right sherman to buy used that's adjustable.

Cummings is right: Pricepoint sells Gold Labels new for 350. That's where I'd get one.

Pretty much everything else for DJ isn't adjustable.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

rock hard or hardrock
    the 07' pike 454 u-turn is $384 on pricepoint....o yea i meant adjustable travel (i will do trail riding once every blue moon so i need a little bit more travel)

o yea and the gold label kind of worries me because of 80mm (100mm is what i want) and the blue knob on the bottom...i would be afaraid to bust that off
    www.transitionbikes.com

h-town hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    the 07' pike 454 u-turn is $384 on pricepoint....o yea i meant adjustable travel (i will do trail riding once every blue moon so i need a little bit more travel)

thats a good deal. too bad you said you were waiting till february. but, it could be cheaper by then , so keep looking. also, most online order sites have "price check" so keep that in mind when searching other sites.

rock hard or hardrock
    thats a good deal. too bad you said you were waiting till february. but, it could be cheaper by then , so keep looking. also, most online order sites have "price check" so keep that in mind when searching other sites.
    yea hopefully that POS RST will hold up until then
    www.transitionbikes.com

mtbr member
    you can get 100mm gold labels, just gotta get it from another site. Every other site has em for $400.

rock hard or hardrock
    what about a fox?
    www.transitionbikes.com

mtbr member
    EX-PEN-SIVE. The only one in your price range is a 32. Its Quick release, the 36 thru-axle is alot more. But the 32 is mint. Fox is known for their buttery smoothness. As long as your not doing much freeriding on it and you stick to djs and trails, it would be good.

mtbr member
    oh ya, the one im looking at is this one.
    http://pricepoint.com/detail/15521-315_FOXFR7_KIT-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/Fox-Forx-32-Float-R-Suspension-Fork-'07-w_-Race-Face-Deus-XC-Headset.htm

and i just realized it has 140mm travel, no travel change. I would just stay away from fox right now.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    Either a pike or a used sherman firefly (110mm-150mmish). XSL_Will knows the right sherman to buy used that's adjustable.

Cummings is right: Pricepoint sells Gold Labels new for 350. That's where I'd get one.

Pretty much everything else for DJ isn't adjustable.
    There is no travel adjustable Sherman that works for hard use. Jumping it in the lowered position is guaranteed to break the travel adjuster. I always permanently reduce them.

Preload sucks. All it does it make for harsher inital travel without actually changing bottom-out or spring rate. And putting too much preload on can cause the spring to bind and snap.

The Fox uses thin lower castings which I have seen blow out. And the crown/steerer/stanchion assemblies get creaky under hard use. Great dampening though. The 36 really is more of a aggro trail fork than a huck fork, and I think it's too tall for urban.

Pike is awesome. But you'll need a new hub. The Recon/Revelation/Reba are all available in QR. The Reba holds up amazingly well seeing as how it's designed around an XC platform. Find one with the solid crown and steel steerer, not the aluminum steerer and hollow crown. I also suggest coil rather than air. If you're going to 20mm TA anyways, check out the Argyle for dedicated DJ/Urban.

I like Manitou forks. The TPC+ Shermans were amazing. All of the forks are very easily tuneable. You can play with travel reduction, shimstacks, etc. The SPV forks could be devolved and whatnot. The Gold Label uses a TPC derived system. It's pretty good. It's oriented around urban (it's even got a grind plate for it).

Don't even get me started on Marzocchi forks. Heavy, tall, and flexy. I've owned 4, broken 3. No warranty. They always give us a run-around with customer warranties at the shop. And I've worked at 3 shops now.

And finally... Don't rule out rigid forks.

mtbr member
    thats basicaly a xc fork (the float that is) ps. vanilla kills all other competition

rock hard or hardrock
    ok well i guess i will go with a gold label aslong as it is 100mm so hopefully i can find one cheap....or a pike again if i can find one cheap

and wont i need a new hub with a goldlabel too?
    www.transitionbikes.com

Meh.
    Gold Label is available in QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Gold Label is available in QR.
    Yup, you could get QR, and save $100, or use the hunderd to upgrade to 20mm. Choices, Choices. www.ride-this.com has gold labels

mtbr remember
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20ATB%20Forks

try that on for size, seems to be what you're lookin' for derfernerf. good deal if you're looking for the QR version specifically, Excellent deal actually!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20ATB%20Forks

try that on for size, seems to be what you're lookin' for derfernerf. good deal if you're looking for the QR version specifically, Excellent deal actually!
    Damn!! Crazy deal right there! Definatly look into that

rock hard or hardrock
    whats the diff. between QR and no QR
    www.transitionbikes.com

mtbr member
    QR- Quick release. Hub uses a skewer that clamps onto slots on the fork legs.

20mm thruaxle- used on heavier duty forks. Runs a 20mm axle through the hub which is part of the fork. Stiffer because it connects the bottom of the fork legs, where a QR forks' legs are not connected. 1st pic QR, 2nd pic 20mm thru axle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Crusty cyclist
    instead of spending a shitload on a super high-end fork, settle for a used sherman or something like that (maybe a rigid?) and buy a better frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by americanethics
    instead of spending a shitload on a super high-end fork, settle for a used sherman or something like that (maybe a rigid?) and buy a better frame
    Agreed, why spend that much on a fork that costs as much as your bike???

rock hard or hardrock
    because it will make it alot better what good frame new can i get for $250...cummings should i get QR or go 20mm
    www.transitionbikes.com

I post too much.
    I'd go 20mm, I've tried both and like the steering precision and stiffness of it.

ouch
    I'll never go back to QR unless I start riding XC again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast