Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729

    New DJ whip (STP content)

    I picked up this baby today for the silly price of 425 bucks.

    Specs go as follows:
    08 STP frame
    05 DJ 1 with QR axle
    729 laced to Hadley (rear)
    729 laced to Marzocchi hub (front)
    Magura Julie rear brake
    Truvativ Husselfelt bar(26" wide) and 40mm stem
    Sunline grips
    WTB Rocket V seat
    Road cassette (mashing up a super tight cassette this week 11-19 is the plan)
    Shimano DXR Crankset
    E*13 LG1
    Sram X3 rear der (will be replaced with X9)

    Not sure if I want to go single speed, but I will probably end up doing it eventually.

    Photobucket
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  2. #2
    dirt rules
    Reputation: sittingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,050
    Good score!
    Some nice BMX cranks and SS, and you're dialed.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,136
    dangggg that is a sweet deal. just the wheelset is worth that much.

    I think a nicer fork would make that build generally awesome.

  4. #4
    pnj
    pnj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    382
    stoked!

  5. #5
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    So far the 04 DJ 1 feels like butter! Its heavier than the newer forks, but Im trying to spend as little as possible on this beast. Im still in shock that it has a Hadley rear hub...

    I'll snap some better pics today!
    Last edited by Freerydejunky; 02-19-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  6. #6
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729

    Update

    Its SS'ed out now, and 29lbs

    Photobucket
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  7. #7
    dirt rules
    Reputation: sittingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,050
    Looking a lot better!
    32/16 is almost perfect for a 16" chainstay, I've run that gear on my stp with no tensioner before.
    Those spring loaded ones can be problematic if you are hard on them.

  8. #8
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Looking a lot better!
    32/16 is almost perfect for a 16" chainstay, I've run that gear on my stp with no tensioner before.
    Those spring loaded ones can be problematic if you are hard on them.
    32x16?! Isnt that a bit low gearing? I use this bike for everything DJ, Urban assault, and skate parks.
    Right now its geared at 36x13. It might be a bit much but I cant imagine 32x16!

    I do agree though, it looks alot better. I'll post up some action shots once the sky stops pissing. I was getting my X-Ups down oh so well too
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  9. #9
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    you put $400 cranks on that? fantastic. nice score, brah. hadley hub alone is almost worth that much.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  10. #10
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    you put $400 cranks on that? fantastic. nice score, brah. hadley hub alone is almost worth that much.
    I did not. Those 400 dollar cranks (180mm mind you) came on the bike.
    As I said before... I got it off a crack head.

    The Hadley is a nice touch
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  11. #11
    pnj
    pnj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    382
    So, it's a stolen bike?

  12. #12
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I did not. Those 400 dollar cranks (180mm mind you) came on the bike.
    As I said before... I got it off a crack head.

    The Hadley is a nice touch
    you've got to be ****ing kidding me! i bet you couldn't get your wallet out fast enough. i'd be grinning like a douchebag buying it.

    it's definitely stolen, though. no one is that stupid.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  13. #13
    dirt rules
    Reputation: sittingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    32x16?! Isnt that a bit low gearing? I use this bike for everything DJ, Urban assault, and skate parks.
    Right now its geared at 36x13. It might be a bit much but I cant imagine 32x16!
    Yeah, it's too low... but it's the only gear I know that works without a tensioner.
    I run 28/12 on mine.
    You might want to double check your numbers...
    36/13 is really high... 2.77:1, or 73 gear inches!

  14. #14
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    i run 32/14. works perfectly for urban
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  15. #15
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Yeah, it's too low... but it's the only gear I know that works without a tensioner.
    I run 28/12 on mine.
    You might want to double check your numbers...
    36/13 is really high... 2.77:1, or 73 gear inches!
    You are right (I have 2 black shimano chain rings ones a 36 ones a 34 got confused)
    Its set up 34x13 right now.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  16. #16
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    you've got to be ****ing kidding me! i bet you couldn't get your wallet out fast enough. i'd be grinning like a douchebag buying it.

    it's definitely stolen, though. no one is that stupid.
    Well, dont be so sure about that. The dude did have a bike rack on the back of his old janky Yota pick up. Who knows...

    I could barley keep from wetting myself, the excitement was to much.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,541
    i also run 34/13 and i am loving it, you just gotta beef up the legs

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    83
    beautiful ride. love the ss set-up too

  19. #19
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    In the next few months I plan on getting X Fusion Velvet. Should drop some more weight
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •