mtbr member

new build project, where to start?

I'm getting ready to purchase a frame to build up my first jump bike in many years. I'm gonna need to run a 1x9 geared setup on this bike because of where I'll be riding it. I don't see too many bikes on here running gears and thats cool, I wish I didnt need to put on any either. But my question is, are there certain frames that are better then others when running them geared? I've been leaning towards building up a new Santa Cruz Jackal or maybe a Spank Puff, but I dont have my heart set on anything in particular yet. I've thought about buying a complete bike, but I hate putting out that money then changing parts that I didn't want right after buying it. I'm the type of person that wants to build something once and have it exactly the way I think it should be not the way the manufacture needs it to sell more models. Basically I'm just looking for input/suggestions to get me pointed in the right direction for my new build project.

This bike will be ridden 99% of the time on trails and dirt jumps. I highly doubt it will ever see any urban riding and it may see a park or two but these will be very rare also.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Just pay attention to your dropouts; most dedicated verticals are designed for geared bikes, unless the frame comes with an eccentric bb, which isn't common on DJs.

A lot of dj's will also come with sliding drops with integrated derailleur hangers if you want to add gears, but also allow you to adjust chain tension in a single speed application. I like these best.

Then there's bikes with a horizontal dropout with a replaceable derailleur hanger, like the Azonic Steehead, and then there's your basic horizontal drop like on the BlkMrkts and the Dobermans.

Also, keep an eye out for braze-ons for the derailleur cable.

That new Jackal is sick, BTW.

Meh.
    Dropouts are hardly the biggest consideration. Geometry and frame construction are very important. Obviously a carbon fiber road bike (regardless of dropouts) would not be very suitable for his purpose.

Braze-ons aren't that important either. I prefer full length housing anyways. A couple zip ties keeps it tucked away.

Most horizontal dropouts can still run a derailleur with the use of an adapter. Most horizontal dropouts get along best with a bolt-on hub though. Horizontal dropouts will also allow you to change the chainstay length. This will allow you to change the geometry of the bike and how it handles. I feel that horizontal drops offer the most versatility.

As far as frame material goes. A good steel tubeset will probably be the way to go. It'll dampen and take out a lot of the chatter. And it won't fatigue as easily as aluminum. Light steel frames may use very thin tubing though, and this will dent easily.

As far as geometry goes. I'd like short stays, short stand over height, nice tight angles, and around a 13 inch bottom bracket height. The top tube length will depend on your size and preference.

mtbr member
    The best, most reliable, and in my opinion coolest, jump bike is the Dobermann Pinscher. Dobermann is an underdog company based out of Quebec, but the frames are ridiculously high quality and totally custom. You can order a factory model, but they will any color you can provide or specify including glow in the dark colors. If you'd like some bit added or modified on the frame, the will forge it the way your specify. The bikes are really, really durable and cool and well worth the money. Frames range from $400 (for the Pinscher, with no customization or options) to over $1000 (MBF, with customization).
    If you want I can attach a picture of my build. The site is rather tricky to find even using Google, but I'm pretty sure its still www.dobermannbikes.com.

Happy buying!