Bikes Rule

New BMX bike plans...

So there is a new ABA track being built in the next 2 months here in RI area. There has not been one in about 3 years. With that comes a lot of new excitement for me, a former BMX kid.

Grew up in the 80's racing BMX and did a few times as I got into the 30's (now 34). With that a good friend who owns a shop has the chance to support/sponsor a new BMX team. He deals Felt and SE Bikes and is working on deals to get them for free or a VERY good price.

Now as I ride park/DJ with my fully decked Riot, I want to still keep the 26" theme going. Great thing about ABA is you can race a 24" or bigger and still qualify as a cruiser for points, awards ect. So a full sized 26" BMX bike is my thoughts. One is that I could race my Riot, but I would be better off with a race frame. Plus I love the Riot for what it is set-up to do.

So as I look at choices I could go 24" or 26". I think the SE OM Flyer is the way to go. I love the 80' retro look with the 08' race geometry. My plan is to replace the seat, post, tires, grips and chainwheel with different parts. One to drop some instant weight and the other to use change up the look just slightly by adding in some black. I have a Thomson post and Fly seat plus I have brand new Schwalbe table tops in Kevlar bead just sitting around. A new one piece chainring and grips and it will be ready to rock. All the new parts will be black - except maybe a gold chainring.

Going black tires so the gold rims will stick out more. Don't care for the seat/post and I am very particular about the grips. Comes with 39/17 gearing but I will adjust that to the track. I just don't like 2-piece chainrings. I'll replace with something much stronger like a tree or profile 1-piece.

I will be rocking the 30-35 cruiser class.

Last edited by Demo-9; 03-15-2008 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Those are pretty cool bikes. You might want to run some other tires than the tabletops. Something skinnier would be best. Not to many 26 BMX bikes out there. The Eastern Traildigger is cool but probably heavy and Supercross made a few super trick frames but they will cost about as much for the frameset as the whole OM runs. Checkout VIntageBMX.com for some threads on those bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you want the best tire i have ever run get the Intense Micro Knobby.... tire is awesome...sticks well in the turns and has zero rolling resistance.

Bikes Rule
    They don't make the micro knobby in a 26".

Yeah I am not sure on the tires. I have them hanging around, and they look to be pretty good for dirt. Not too worried about the width. They are extremely light and on the narrow side as well. But we'll see once I get everything going...

gnar, brah
    The CRC/Intense team is running Blk Mrkt Riot frames this year for 4x/slalom racing, the frames have the geo tweaked for racing, and will be coming out sometime in the next year...if you really liked the feel of your Riot for recreational riding, it would likely transfer well to a race-spec build. Rigid fork, really light wheels, etc.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    any idea where in RI?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    why do you want to run a 26" and not a 24" or a 20"
    Bikes are better then women, at least you get to ride them when ever you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Actually Intense just came out with a 26" micro knobby.

mtbr member
    glad to see someone buy one of these things with the intent to actually ride it. there's a guy here who has one but won't even attempt to manual or hop up a curb on it. not even a wheelie. he has supposedly been riding BMX since he was younger (hes in his late 20's/ early 30's) but it makes me wonder..not really any of my business though and it's his bike not mine. just a pet peeve of mine i guess.

post pics of your final build.

Bikes Rule
    After riding 26" bikes for over 16 years now, I just can't ride a 24" or 20". At age 34, I have a nice cruiser class full of buddies to beat up. Well I guess I could race a 24" but I love the 26" BMX. I love the Riot as is and will not change it to a race bike when I can simply buy a 26" BMX. Plus I will get it for free or at a rediculously low price. So why not?

The track will be in Foster. Woodlandbmx.com for the info. Again as the shop will be sponsoring riders and getting SE Bikes support, I may as well get a bike I am comfortable in. I did race a 26" XC bike last time around and beat up most of the younger guys. I plan to do the same but with a better suited bike..

Will post up pics soon. About 3 weeks I should be getting it in..