Thread: new bike yo

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

new bike yo

ok so i did the bmx thing for a while got out of it and probably for the past 3 years or so got into all mtn and some freeride. so i got a 2008 premium bmx bike and i just couldnt swing the small wheels. sold it the day before yesterday and for what i sold it for picked up a 08 dmr sidekick. havent got much ride time on it but wow it feels at home. right in between the bmx and mtn bikes. and also the fork is debadges anyone kno what it is off the top of your head? pix up in a sec!!!!
    you are bad at eating sandwiches!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    pix!! and for the record this is not my bed therefore not my suspect animal print on the bed lol... anyways...

and the fork in question... maybe a black gold label??? dunno really but its def coil(ie no adjusting) and has a qr

mtbr member
    def a GL or possibly a sherman jumper... If you ever want it gone, drop me a PM. (goes with anyone with either forks)

But the new'er gen DMR's look very nice. especially for the price you pay to get one. Ought to be a fun ride! And I totally hear ya on the "not feeling at home" on twenties... I can't ride them. I'm about to move down to 24" MTBMX ride that ought to be even more fun than my current tw0-six.

mtbr member
    nice bike
    manitou minute possibly?
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    maybe the lowers dropping past the dropouts is a clue??? dunno i'm gonna try to find a serial number and give manitou a call. the springs are super squish tho... most dj forks like this? i'd prefer them pretty stiff

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure allll manitou forks have the lowers extending past the drops... It is either a gold label or a sherman jumper. Does it have travel-adjust? if not, that knocks out a firefly, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    nope no adjustments at all

mtbr member
    Will ought to chime in and let you know for sure, but i'm pretty positive thats a gold label. It doesnt look to have the castings on the lowers like the sherman jumpers do...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ok so stiffer springs should be pretty easy to get a hold of im guessin?

mtbr member
    Somewhere in this RM thread... http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128368 ....i believe it was "stoked" who posted up a how-to on lowering/stiffening gold labels/sherman jumpers (essentially the same fork as far as i know..) with machining die springs. Which makes for an incredibly stiff, slammed fork. I'm not sure if manitou made/makes stiffer gl springs

quick google search got me this.. havent read it and dont plan to but figured i'd post it up... http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...?threadid=6716

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    cool thanks for the links. so whats the benefit of a lowered fork? it makes sense how it would tweak the geometry but how does it benefit if the manufacturer designed it around a specific length fork?

mtbr member
    It comes down to personal preference. Back in the day, My dad refused to even build a frame with steeper than a 70* HA. He felt it was unnecessary and would only get you into trouble because of how much quicker it steers. Theory behind the steeper HA is that it makes the bike more twitchy (quicker steering) which can be beneficial for spin tricks, tight lines, etc. Most companies follow a set standard when designing their frames as per their geometry. But you may not LIKE the geometry that they've designed. So by lowering your fork, you can get a steeper HA and a lower BB... But that doesn't mean either are necessarily good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    when u pull the fork apart is there no oil involved?

mtbr member
    Oil is involved yes. You could probly slow the compression by adding a thicker weight oil as well. But your rebound may be crappy then,

train gorilla
    That fork is most likely a manitou stance static. I had one on my old DOC. the fork sucked till I did a similar spring mod to what a grove posted.
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hey grove have any links w/ some pics of the actual process? that'd make me more secure about doing it this weekend just dont wanna yank it all apart and not be able to connect what i'm seeing to what i'm reading ya kno?