mtbr member

New bike check, and a question...

Hi everyone, I just joined, and I'm putting up my new build.

Custom Zanotti DJ style frame (I bought it used, all I know is it's a custom builder that specializes in XC frames. It's steel, and fairly light)
    Manitou Stance Flow fork
    Azonic DH wheels
    Holy Rollers
    Hellbent riser
    Hayes purple hydraulics, 8"
    Truvativ Hussefeldt cranks
    Azonic A-Frame pedals
    Rock Ring SS chain ring, 32T
    SDG saddle
    Thomson post
    Oury lock on grips

I want to reduce the travel on my Stance Flow. Currently, it has 130mm to 150mm of travel. I would much rather go down to 90mm or so. If I had the $$, I would just get a new fork, but I'm really poor right now. Can I just open it up and cut the springs down? Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Bike photos 11-9-06 005.jpg

Bike photos 11-9-06 006.jpg

Bike photos 11-9-06 007.jpg

Sorry about the dirt, she's a little muddy right now!

mtbr remember
    Hey, welcome to the Urban/DJ/Park forum! looks like a nice ride, frame looks smooth. I don't know why though, but those Holy Rollers look HUGE!

and yeah, you can reduce that fork, just search for the topic in these forums, or I'm sure someone will pop in soon with some directions.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Meh.
    Nice bike. It looks a little on the long/tall/skinny side, but it looks smooth and clean (well actually pretty muddy).

Do a search. I did a write-up for reducing the Sherman forks, the Stance isn't much different. You need to space out the negative travel assembly. After doing so, you might be able to cram the 130mm spring in, but chances are that it'll need to be cut.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Those Holy Roller do look huge? I don't know a thing about reducing travel, but nice rig, looks sweet.

I post too much.
    Looks pretty damn nice!

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    im diggin that drivetrain setup

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help, Will. I found your write up. I lowered the fork by 50mm today. I tested it out, and it bottoms out real bad now. Tomorrow I'm going to change the oil to 10 wt, hope that helps. I'll post some updated pics then.

mtbr member
    All right, here it is. Lowered the fork by 50mm or so, and changed the oil from 5wt to 10wt.
    Zanotti_REV.jpg
    The spring is still fairly soft, and while bottoming out isn't as easy as before, it still happens. Next up is the X-firm spring kit from Manitou. Still, she rides a lot better, much quicker handling.