mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New bike build almost ready!!

After four months of buying parts my steelhead build is almost finished! I stole the fork off my Klein (fox float 100rl) till I can afford a pike. Once my dumbass friend finds my bottom bracket that got shipped to his house I can ride it! I know you all probably have nicer bikes or whatever but after a whole summer spent looking at parts I now have a bike that I can nearly ride...

There was one major annoyance if you all remember and two duplicate purchases due to a change of mind, but the current specs are...

Frame - Azonic steelhead '05
    Fork - Fox float 100rl (temporary)
    Wheelset - Azonic outlaws
    Tires - Hookworms
    Brakes - Hayes mags, 8" rotors
    Grips - ODI rogues
    Headset - FSA pig dh pro
    Stem - raceface evolve DH 31.8mm
    Bars - Raceface diabolus
    Seat - Azonic hot seat
    Crankset - Raceface evolve DH w/ single ring (mono veloce 34t)
    BB - Truvativ gigapipe team DH
    Pedals - Sun ringle zuzus
    Cassette - SRAM PG970
    Shifter & Derailleur (rear only) - SRAM X7

Ok so now what I'm dying to know...how much would you guys pay for this build? I know I know, I'll get 50 responses about why you wouldn't do this or that a certain way, but if you bought this bike...how much? I ask because I feel really stupid about going over budget so much (bought used brakes and decided I wanted new ones, so that cost me $50 even after I sold them again ). Maybe it's not so bad, I figure it'd be hard to find these components on a complete bike for the same price. Anyways enough talking, I'm just really excited that I get to ride it soon. Here are a couple pics I just took:

Last edited by sovietspyguy; 09-27-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    thats really nice man, looks sleek. its a whole heck of a lot nicer than mine, good choice of parts too

I post too much.
    Nice!

mtbr remember
    yeah, looks like a pretty solid and smooth ride I'm sure anybody could be happy with! congrats on your build!!
    haha, of course, I could say several things about what I would or wouldn't have bought, ahem, cough, heavy hookworms, cough, completely unessecary 8" rotors, cough, ahem....
    anyway, sorry... but, it does look like a pretty basic catalog built bike where you thumb through a catalog, point at a few basic parts and put them together.
    I would say, based on seeing similarly spec'ed steelheads go on ebay, It could sell for around the $600-800+ area. hey, but that's just based on what I've seen, maybe others here have completely different opinions.
    either way, enjoy the ride sovietspyguy!
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 09-27-2006 at 08:00 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Hey, nice bike! I've got a Steelhead that took me quite a while to get built up. I ended up over budget too, but when you set a really, really low goal that's how things go sometimes. I don't have any recent pictures of it, but I'll get some in a few days.

My build:
    '06 Steelhead frame
    Wheels: Azonic Outlaws
    Stem: Azonic Launch FR
    Bars: Specialized Demo 31.8
    F Brake: Hayes Champagne 8"
    R Brake Hayes HFX-9 8"
    Grips: Azonic Half Waffle
    Shifter: Shimano LX
    R Derailleur: Shimano LX
    Chain: Shimano LX
    Cassette: Shimano LX
    BB: Truvativ Gigapipe something
    Cranks: Truvativ Hozfeller
    Seatpost: Azonic
    Seat: Azonic Hotseat
    Seatpost QR: Salsa Flipoff (nice!)
    Current tires: WTB Weirwolf 2.5"
    Headset: FSA Sky Pilot
    Fork: Marzocchi Z-150 DO (to be converted and lowered to around 110mm when Marzocchi ships my my ferrule)
    TOTAL WEIGHT: 38.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, looks like a pretty solid and smooth ride I'm sure anybody could be happy with! congrats on your build!!
    haha, of course, I could say several things about what I would or wouldn't have bought, ahem, cough, heavy hookworms, cough, completely unessecary 8" rotors, cough, ahem....
    anyway, sorry... but, it does look like a pretty basic catalog built bike where you thumb through a catalog, point at a few basic parts and put them together.
    I would say, based on seeing similarly spec'ed steelheads go on ebay, It could sell for around the $600+ area. hey, but that's just based on what I've seen, maybe others here have completely different opinions.

The hookworms I picked up cheap on ebay. I know they're heavy as hell, whenever I replace them I'll get something lighter. I wouldn't say the 8" rotors are unnecessary, I've tried similar bikes and find them very nice to have. $600? Come on...look up the price of the frame, the wheels, the brakes, you're already almost there. Anyways I know it cost a lot but at least I have a bike in any case. I didn't feel like spending even more time researching stuff from smaller companies just because it's less "mainstream" or whatever you want to call it. So far I think it'll be pretty solid, and if something turns out not to be then I'll just replace it with whatever is.

Oh well enough of that crap, I just want to ride it already! Thanks for the info though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    Hey, nice bike! I've got a Steelhead that took me quite a while to get built up. I ended up over budget too, but when you set a really, really low goal that's how things go sometimes. I don't have any recent pictures of it, but I'll get some in a few days.

My build:
    '06 Steelhead frame
    Wheels: Azonic Outlaws
    Stem: Azonic Launch FR
    Bars: Specialized Demo 31.8
    F Brake: Hayes Champagne 8"
    R Brake Hayes HFX-9 8"
    Grips: Azonic Half Waffle
    Shifter: Shimano LX
    R Derailleur: Shimano LX
    Chain: Shimano LX
    Cassette: Shimano LX
    BB: Truvativ Gigapipe something
    Cranks: Truvativ Hozfeller
    Seatpost: Azonic
    Seat: Azonic Hotseat
    Seatpost QR: Salsa Flipoff (nice!)
    Current tires: WTB Weirwolf 2.5"
    Headset: FSA Sky Pilot
    Fork: Marzocchi Z-150 DO (to be converted and lowered to around 110mm when Marzocchi ships my my ferrule)
    TOTAL WEIGHT: 38.6 lbs
    Nice, post some pics! I thought about getting the '06 because I liked the looks more but I decided I'd get this one just because I found it for relatively cheap on ebay. How are the tires you use? Mine's pretty much gonna be for urban, some dirtjumps, and some of the more technical trails if need be (already have an xc bike for that) so I'll have to switch out the hookworms sooner or later.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by sovietspyguy
    The hookworms I picked up cheap on ebay. I know they're heavy as hell, whenever I replace them I'll get something lighter. I wouldn't say the 8" rotors are unnecessary, I've tried similar bikes and find them very nice to have. $600? Come on...look up the price of the frame, the wheels, the brakes, you're already almost there. Anyways I know it cost a lot but at least I have a bike in any case. I didn't feel like spending even more time researching stuff from smaller companies just because it's less "mainstream" or whatever you want to call it. So far I think it'll be pretty solid, and if something turns out not to be then I'll just replace it with whatever is.

Oh well enough of that crap, I just want to ride it already! Thanks for the info though.
    hey, no offense meant by my single judgement! I'm just saying, watch for these steelheads on ebay, they are cheap. your parts, they are not anything special or that you can't find for cheap, if you paid msrp on them, I'm terribly sorry. Hayes Mags, they have been around for so long, they can be had for incredibly cheap... even the Outlaws, which are great wheels, you can find deals on them these days as well. raceface evolve... c'mon... I'm not trying to bring you down, just saying what I would pay for it. you asked for it, but like you restated, enough of it, get on'er and ride!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would say, based on seeing similarly spec'ed steelheads go on ebay, It could sell for around the $600-800+ area. hey, but that's just based on what I've seen, maybe others here have completely different opinions.

Actually just out of curiosity, what would you have done different? The hookworms I understand, the rotors I can also understand, but what else?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    hey, no offense meant by my single judgement! I'm just saying, watch for these steelheads on ebay, they are cheap. your parts, they are not anything special or that you can't find for cheap, if you paid msrp on them, I'm terribly sorry. Hayes Mags, they have been around for so long, they can be had for incredibly cheap... even the Outlaws, which are great wheels, you can find deals on them these days as well. raceface evolve... c'mon... I'm not trying to bring you down, just saying what I would pay for it. you asked for it, but like you restated, enough of it, get on'er and ride!

I think that's probably why I went over so much...I didn't pay msrp for most stuff, since I got lots of it on ebay, but I did buy mostly new parts. I have an inherent nervousness with certain used parts, I had a really bad experience buying a used wheel so I decided it wasn't worth the trouble anymore and just got new ones. The hayes mags....yeah....I did get those new as well. I did spend a couple weeks looking for used ones, bought a set, didn't trust the way they felt, and decided to get new ones since they weren't THAT much more...

These things happen I guess, first time building a bike. But again what would you do different? I'm sure there is lots of stuff out there that I just don't know about yet, and it might help for next time. Thanks for the input!

mtbr remember
    Actually just out of curiosity, what would you have done different? The hookworms I understand, the rotors I can also understand, but what else?

honestly, I don't know your style or terrain you want to ride exactly in order to say... and, I don't know how much you really did pay for your setup, but based on your reaction to my earlier guess, you paid much more...
    but, essentially, I wouldn't say you really need to change much other than the tires and rotors, which you don't even "need" to do in order to just ride the heck out of it. I would have it set up SS as well personally, and probably rear brake only, but I'm not against front brakes, I'm just not down with unneccesary components on a street/dj bike. your 38lbs is HEAVY, and will be really felt when it's mostly in the wheels/tires. all of your parts appear to be great for intended use though, nice short stem, riser bars, low seat, stout wheels, short fork, etc... and if you do get a pike on there, it will be a very nice ride, that would probably increase your resale value by 1/3 or more, haha...
    I guess I'm just a hardcore deal hunter, and don't have too much fear buying used parts if I need to (hope not to jinx myself here on ebay!), although I have had my share of bum parts and deals, I guess I just know what to look for, and I know how to repair most things if it comes down to it. buying new parts on ebay are usually not "deals" though, just because you got them on an auction site....
    Again, don't want to judge too much here, as I just don't know for fact, but for example, there probably wasnt' much difference between the used hayes you bought and the new ones, maybe the old ones just needed an overhaul, and the new ones came with a fresh bleed and pads, no biggie.
    anyway, like I said earlier, looks like a very solid ride that I'm sure anybody could be happy with, but maybe in your head, your over-budget has gotten in the way...
    wow, that was a ridiculously long reply....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ya i have to agree with the 600-800, cause my friend got and entirely built steelhead for 300 + shipping. it had

05 frame
    surly 4x4 fork
    azonic bmx style cranks(3 piece chrome)
    rhyno lites with deore front and surly freewheel hub rear(ss)
    azonic bars and stem (short stem, high rise bars)
    k-rad tires front and rear
    avid bb7 6" front and rear
    avid fr 5 levers

bike was mint to, so i was not a beater...now thats a deal

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    ya i have to agree with the 600-800, cause my friend got and entirely built steelhead for 300 + shipping. it had

05 frame
    surly 4x4 fork
    azonic bmx style cranks(3 piece chrome)
    rhyno lites with deore front and surly freewheel hub rear(ss)
    azonic bars and stem (short stem, high rise bars)
    k-rad tires front and rear
    avid bb7 6" front and rear
    avid fr 5 levers

bike was mint to, so i was not a beater...now thats a deal
    I agree I could have gotten one a lot cheaper...but come on if you're gonna compare at least be reasonable with it. Sure the parts I got aren't all necessary exactly....but the only thing in common with mine and the one you listed is the frame. Then again it might have been cheaper to just buy one like that and upgrade a few parts...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    while i understand your point about apples to apples, the 2 bikes are not so different.
    ..fork and wheel set is the most differnce and you have higher priced stuff. although the hub while different can cost about the same so its close there.

but crank sets are close enough in value. you went with 8" hydros front and rear which is not really necessary avid mechs do the job just fine, so higher cost for you. you got gears so that means a casset but then you got a sram 970, why? should have gotten a 950, its cheap and you dont need super fast crisp shifts on a dj bike. then you went with sram gear which i will say is nice no dout but once again why? shimano stuff is cheaper and will do shifting fine. now you have hookworms on there so that tells me you plan to stick to compacted dirt(aka dirt jumping) or some street/park action. the bike you built is nice but the components are not fitted correctly for how it can be used

as for its worth...just the frame used goes for around 120, i have seen one go for 60 so the market is low. selling it will atract 2 crouds

first is the ones that will look at the components and say thats some nice stuff but the frame is steel and heavy and i dont like that. this buyer wants your bike but with a alum. vert. drop frame.

second is the buyer that wants the frame because its steel and strong and makes for a good dj/street bike, but then the higher end components make it cost to much and they dont/wont need then so that makes then not like it
    Last edited by Merkyworks; 09-27-2006 at 11:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    while i understand your point about apples to apples, the 2 bikes are not so different.
    ..fork and wheel set is the most differnce and you have higher priced stuff. although the hub while different can cost about the same so its close there.

but crank sets are close enough in value. you went with 8" hydros front and rear which is not really necessary avid mechs do the job just fine, so higher cost for you. you got gears so that means a casset but then you got a sram 970, why? should have gotten a 950, its cheap and you dont need super fast crisp shifts on a dj bike. then you went with sram gear which i will say is nice no dout but once again why? shimano stuff is cheaper and will do shifting fine. now you have hookworms on there so that tells me you plan to stick to compacted dirt(aka dirt jumping) or some street/park action. the bike you built is nice but the components are not fitted correctly for how it can be used

as for its worth...just the frame used goes for around 120, i have seen one go for 60 so the market is low. selling it will atract 2 crouds

first is the ones that will look at the components and say thats some nice stuff but the frame is steel and heavy and i dont like that. this buyer wants your bike but with a alum. vert. drop frame.

second is the buyer that wants the frame because its steel and strong and makes for a good dj/street bike, but then the higher end components make it cost to much and they dont/wont need then so that makes then not like it

You're definitely right about the components...I could have gotten away with cheaper stuff. For some reason I always convince myself to spend that little extra when I don't really need to...I seriously considered getting the avid mechs, but for the kind of riding I do (mostly urban) I liked the the hydros more. I had a chance to try out both on other guy's bikes and I just feel more "in tune" with the brakes on a hydro, it's easier to feel when it'll lock up and easier to keep it just under that point. It's totally a personal preference thing but that's what I decided. I will probably end up going SS at some point, right now it's like this so I can still hit up some trails and ride it to class quickly when I'm late.

The SRAM stuff is a bit pricey...the cassette I just didn't know any better and didn't do enough research. The derailleur/shifter I chose because I've always used shimano stuff and don't particularly like it so I wanted something different. I've broken the little barrel adjuster on my shimano RD three times on my other bike because it just kind of sticks out there. It's cheap but it costs a couple days in inability to trust your bike. Just a lot of little annoyances with shimano...I never really 100% trusted it to be there when I need it, so I was trying to buy peace of mind more than anything.

On the bright side, when I DO get different (cheaper) parts, I can sell mine for more . I'll keep posting as it's getting built...and since I had 5000 questions about components and my particular frame, if anyone else has them about anything I have, feel free to ask so I can feel like I give back to the community.

I post too much.
    What I would've changed? Rear 6in rotor only, a pike, lighter tires, and single speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    What I would've changed? Rear 6in rotor only, a pike, lighter tires, and single speed.

I'm getting a pike, the float is only temporary. Lighter tires when these wear out. SS...maybe. I just like having strong brakes, what can I say...I like having a front because 1) I can stop quickly and 2) I can do front wheel moves

I post too much.
    I do mostly jumping so a front brake is pretty useless to me, that's probably why I wouldn't have one. For more general use though I would probably use one. My nemesis project will have an 8inch BB5 brake up front for when I'll go to whistler with it.

mtbr remember
    I'm getting a pike, the float is only temporary. Lighter tires when these wear out. SS...maybe. I just like having strong brakes, what can I say...I like having a front because 1) I can stop quickly and 2) I can do front wheel moves
    maybe once you get lighter tires (lighter bike too?), you'll realize that 6" is all that you need.... 6" does not mean weak necessarily. I have a rear 160mm only, and I'm even thinking of going to a 140mm Hope rotor. more modulation, more clearance for bashing, and still enough power for fufanus and stalls.
    but yeah, if you like front wheel moves, and stoppies etc., then a front brake is completely justified for you.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Whatever people... I had a steelhead and it was a great frame. Everything is a learning experience including your early bike builds just like girlfriends. There is a cost associated with learning. Could you have done it cheaper maybe but so what. The cost is always worth it too even if you don't realize it then. Later on you will. Ride it like you stole it. Next build coming you will be that much closer to nirvana.