mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Need some help lifting my bike

Hey all,

I'm going to do my best to describe my problem. I have recently been getting in to learning trials / basic stunts on my bike. I can bunnyhop small curbs, and up to 6" if I have a few trial runs, I am working on wheelies, and hopefully I will move on to larger hops, 180 pivots and manuals. I am doing all of this on a regular mountain bike. A Giant Iguana, to be precise. For those of you who are not familiar with it, here is a small picture and review of it
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_har...ct_24827.shtml

Anyways, my issue right now is that I am having a hard time getting the front end up higher than a foot. I have seen bunnyhoping tutorials where you lift your front bars then kick up the back, which works for up to maybe a foot, and I have no problem with this. I am learning it quite well. What I am having a problem with is the more advanced bunnyhop, where you jump in the air and *pull* the bike up with you. I have seen the popular BMX tutorials flying around and they indicate that this is the way to get really good air (over a foot), but I have found that my bike's centre of gravity is very high and it's hard to lift the bike that high. I am not able to get it over a foot in the air by jumping and pulling up the front. I can get the front up high by starting a wheelie sitting down, but there is no way in hell I can get to a standing / jumping position from that because my weight is too far back. as soon as I make any motion to stand or throw my weight forward, the front comes crashing down by the time I get anywhere. I am hoping to get a new bike when I reach the limit with this bike..but that will not be until next summer at least. for now I need to work with what I have. Until I can get past this problem, anything but wheelies and very small hops is out of the question.

I would really appreciate some help with this..every tutorial I have seen is either with a BMX bike, or something like a Chase / STP which is built more for this sort of stuff. I'm not really sure what else to try!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTM
    Hey all,

I'm going to do my best to describe my problem. I have recently been getting in to learning trials / basic stunts on my bike. I can bunnyhop small curbs, and up to 6" if I have a few trial runs, I am working on wheelies, and hopefully I will move on to larger hops, 180 pivots and manuals. I am doing all of this on a regular mountain bike. A Giant Iguana, to be precise. For those of you who are not familiar with it, here is a small picture and review of it
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_har...ct_24827.shtml

Anyways, my issue right now is that I am having a hard time getting the front end up higher than a foot. I have seen bunnyhoping tutorials where you lift your front bars then kick up the back, which works for up to maybe a foot, and I have no problem with this. I am learning it quite well. What I am having a problem with is the more advanced bunnyhop, where you jump in the air and *pull* the bike up with you. I have seen the popular BMX tutorials flying around and they indicate that this is the way to get really good air (over a foot), but I have found that my bike's centre of gravity is very high and it's hard to lift the bike that high. I am not able to get it over a foot in the air by jumping and pulling up the front. I can get the front up high by starting a wheelie sitting down, but there is no way in hell I can get to a standing / jumping position from that because my weight is too far back. as soon as I make any motion to stand or throw my weight forward, the front comes crashing down by the time I get anywhere. I am hoping to get a new bike when I reach the limit with this bike..but that will not be until next summer at least. for now I need to work with what I have. Until I can get past this problem, anything but wheelies and very small hops is out of the question.

I would really appreciate some help with this..every tutorial I have seen is either with a BMX bike, or something like a Chase / STP which is built more for this sort of stuff. I'm not really sure what else to try!

Thanks!
    try throwin your weight back and pulling the bars to your chest in one fluid motion, use the momentum from your ass as leverage on your bars and bring them to your chest while bringing your ass from the lowest possible postiion to a standing position

its all on motion, no stops, no sudden changes, just back then up.

if that doesnt work try using a search tool, i heard they help well with bunnyhops

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was hopping like a retard for years then one day while trying to manual I slammed my rear wheel into a curb. It was amazing.

Jump back, pull the bars as high to your chest. Near vertical if you can. I found exaggeratinf it at first helped me get the feel for it. Then with your bars to your chest try to dive over them like your jumping into a pool. The whole back end of your bike will rotate around your bars in the direction of your shoulders and head.

Once you feel that youll understand the hopping motion. It feels so good to ride right up to a low wall a bench or a tables and just launch yourself up onto it.

Dont forget to wheelie drop off or youll endo over the edge!!

I post too much.
    Check this thread out, I posted a pic of me during the forward throwing motion, you might find it helpful another frustrated bunnyhopper thread

rock hard or hardrock
    preloading the suspension might help just push down on the shocks before you pull up
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks guys, those replies give me some ideas to try. At least now I know it should be possible on my bike even though its not a trial frame. When im starting out, do you recommend doing it from a standstill with the rear brake pulled, from a standstill without using brakes, or moving forward slowly / fast without using brakes?

Thanks a lot for the replies so far, I really appreciate it!

rock hard or hardrock
    i would move medium speed
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

I post too much.
    Move at the same speed you're used to hopping at. I barely ever hop while standing still.