I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

need help with snow jump...

I made a semi packed snow jump on my drive way and it does no have a landing and it is only 1 foot high but I will make it bigger. Can anyone give me tips on making it I dont want it to be icy at all... Any suggestions on making a hard packed jump that is not slick? it is like 27F degrees out right now BTW.

mtbr member
    well you DO want it icy

step 1: pile all the snow you want, then shape it to your liking
    step 2: ice that puppy down with a hose or bucket full of water
    step 3: lay down some carpet scrap (while the water you put down is still wet and not icy).Put your carpet scrap up to your lip and on your lander

wait for the ice to set and your jump to get hard, then ride and enjoy

you can do all the packing you want by hand or shovel and i dont think its going to make a difference, your tires have such a narrow profile (compared to a snowboard) that you will mush your jump over if you dont ice it...

Nov 2008
    Ok thanks Ill ice it down. I don't have any carpet scrap I can use so would like a 4x6 rug work? If not what would work?

Braaaapp!
    Growing up I made snow jumps all the time in Michigan. We'd form the ramp from snow, then throw a piece of scrap 1/2" plywood on it.

Nov 2008
    I used a rug we dont use anymore it works good but the jump doesn't launch you at all! I guess I will have to build it up some more...

wait...what?
    Quote Originally Posted by drain bamage
    Ok thanks Ill ice it down. I don't have any carpet scrap I can use so would like a 4x6 rug work? If not what would work?
    just use a thick towel

mtbr member
    yea you dont necessarily need carpet scrap, a rug or towels or even cardboard or plywood works, you just want to increase the traction, because the ice is very slick even with studded tires...

Nov 2008
    Ok thanks The lip comes to soon on the jump so I am going to go work on it. It sort of feels like you are getting bucked off the bike since the jump isnt long enough and the lip is kind of high. I like the jumps where you just soar.