mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Need help finding a bike

Hi guys. I've been riding BMX street and flatland for quite a while now, and I feel like I've grown out of it. I want something bigger and I want to expand my style of riding. I have around $700 to spend.

I want a bike with 26" wheels, but I want it to have some of the "feel" of a BMX bike. I love BMX parts too, so it would be nice if the bike could accept BMX parts as well (sprockets, pedals, etc.) I'm 15 and 6'2", so I want something that will give me a little bit of room to grow but still not be too big.

I want to ride street/urban along with trails. I will be getting a car soon as well, but it would be nice if the bike is good for commuting as well. I have been looking at the DK Xenia and Diamondback P.1, but I really have no idea where to begin. If you guys could help me find a bike, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am actually going to pick up a DK xenia pretty soon, much for the same reasons as you. I recommend (like everyone else here will) you take a test ride. I had a Kona XC hardtail and although it was a nice bike, it didn't have that "fun" factor I was looking for. It was nice on the trails but everytime I took it around town I had to go home and tune my brakes and der.. I rode the xenia and it just felt more flickable than my blast (obviously). I think it would be hard to really flick the xenia around, especially coming from a BMX background, but it is certainly a fun bike. A lil longer seat tube than I would like, but i don't have the cash to drop 1K and my LBS is giving me a smoking deal on an '06....$530 out the door.

destructionismyobjective
    I picked up a 06 fisher bitter over the summer and am extremly pleased. Like dp i was riding a xc bike that was good and got the job done but wanted somthing that was a little more fun. I also used to bmx when I was younger so I have a similar backround. It does take some adjusting to get used to a 26" bike but now that i have it is a blast. Its not the greatest trail riding bike but i ride it on the trails anyways. Its just such a fun bike I have trouble even wanting to get out the xc bike any more. But check it out, I got mine for $500 and Im sure you can get it at a comprable price. Go to the gary fisher website and check it out. The 07 didnt change at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have looked at/ridden the Fishers before, and I didn't really like them. They seem a little more downhill-oriented than I like. My local shop doesn't carry DK's, though, so I really have no way to give it a test ride. I guess I have to consider my options. I've also been looking at the Giant STP... what do you guys think of that?

I post too much.
    Giant STP is a great starter frame, I also liked my Kona Stuff back when I had it(it got stolen )

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Giant STP is a great starter frame, I also liked my Kona Stuff back when I had it(it got stolen )
    What about the new 07 STP complete?

I post too much.
    Looks like a nice bike for the money to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I guess that brings me to my last question.... single speed or geared? I'm going to be doing a lot of street and park, but a lot of trails as well. I have no problem riding my BMX bike wherever I need to go, but what are the advantages of riding a single speed MTB?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Force
    I guess that brings me to my last question.... single speed or geared? I'm going to be doing a lot of street and park, but a lot of trails as well. I have no problem riding my BMX bike wherever I need to go, but what are the advantages of riding a single speed MTB?

if you can ride everywhere you need to go on a bmx, then you will most definitely be able to make those same places, if not more on an equally ratio'ed SS mtb. larger tires roll over obstacles much easier. and, I much prefer SS in dedicated park and street riding - advantages would/could include; lighter, simple/less to break/less $ to repair, no chain slap on your tire or frame, usually more direct pedal engagement, etc...
    Schralp it Heavy.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    if you can ride everywhere you need to go on a bmx, then you will most definitely be able to make those same places, if not more on an equally ratio'ed SS mtb. larger tires roll over obstacles much easier. and, I much prefer SS in dedicated park and street riding - advantages would/could include; lighter, simple/less to break/less $ to repair, no chain slap on your tire or frame, usually more direct pedal engagement, etc...
    What he said, plus no derailleur to adjust. Unless you plan on doing a lot of trail, SS is fine.
    I would still get the geared version simply for the part specs(I haven't looked closely, but for 100$ more it's not too bad) And put on a simple 20$ SS kit.

Air Junkie
    You gotta remember when us bmxers say "trails", we mean DJ. Not XC trails.

resident dumbass
    A 2007 P.1 is a pretty good setup. Probably not as BMXish as last years, but it'll be fine.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    look used and dont get the 07 spesh p bikes unless you plan on replacing wheels. those hubs look suicidal. find a good, cheap used rig

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    You gotta remember when us bmxers say "trails", we mean DJ. Not XC trails.
    I'm thinking that was directed at the other guy.... so a single speed would be fine for DJ? I guess that wouldn't really make a difference.

I post too much.
    Going the used route is always an option, often people upgrade their rigs over time and you may end up with a complete for cheaper, with better parts than stock. Sorry about that, I'd forgotten to mention it. Be sure to inspect the frame thoroughly before pulling the trigger, look for cracks and dents, especially at the welds.

destructionismyobjective
    Definetly not a dh bike. Who seriously rides a ht downhill. Well It was just a suggestion the p series bikes are pretty sweet bikes too. I didnt really know what i wanted when i started looking but got turned on to the bitter cause of the price and components. Good luck, to each thier own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Going the used route is always an option, often people upgrade their rigs over time and you may end up with a complete for cheaper, with better parts than stock. Sorry about that, I'd forgotten to mention it. Be sure to inspect the frame thoroughly before pulling the trigger, look for cracks and dents, especially at the welds.
    I have been looking at that too, but most of the bikes that I've seen and liked are out-of-state.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Force
    I have been looking at that too, but most of the bikes that I've seen and liked are out-of-state.
    Too bad, you can sometimes get insane deals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    From what I've seen, definitely.

Are there any online stores that sell STP's?