mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Need bike buying advice...everyone please!!!

Hi everyone in the forums. 1st post!

I'm thinking of buying the new '07 KONA STUFF.

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/STUFF/index.html

I never had a proper (medium/high-end) mtb and used to ride a bmx a couple years ago.

I need a bike that takes me back to my bmx days...pull a few tricks, wheelies, manuals, wallrides, stairs...nothing too hardcore or extreme. Will probably not ride parks or ramps (none around), maybe just a little 4x, light downhill and a little xc. I also like to climb onto stuff...trial style. I would also like to go on a couple of short xc trails with my friends. 25 km or so...It's mostly plains around here. Climb a little...descent a little...fast! Not into riding big distances.

Is the Kona Stuff the right bike?

The bike will probably be used mostly for getting around my town...I like the more laid-back position these bikes provide. Not like the some "pure" xc/marathon bikes that you feel like you are prone on the bike and mess you back and feel uncorfotable.

I need a confortable, strong, all-around bike with a bmx scent to it.

I was thinking of getting size L (17) - I'm 6 feet/1.85m. Size L will probably compromise the maneuverability of the bike a little for tricks and jumps, but in smaller sizes it would be a pain for my occasional xc rides, right?

I was thinking that raising the saddle would do the trick for xc as I dont expect to be racing fast or trying to make lots of miles this way.

Also I like to climb onto logs, benches and other urban obstacles with a bike. Do you think size L will be appropriate and compact enough considering my height?

Any other bikes you think I should consider?Budget wise the price of the Kona Stuff is the maximum I can spend.

Thanks a lot for your help. Please get back to me as I have still have some doubts about this and I'm about to order the bike online...

Thanks, in advance for your replies.

Greetings,
    Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My son almost got a STUFF but he got an `05 Chimp instead and saved a bunch of $$$. Is the the Kona kewler? Yup. If money isn't a prob, get the Stuff. That said, the Chimp has similar geometry as the Stuff, I'm 6' and I can ride his 15" Chimp, but it's really tight. Ok for messing about on NS and urban stuff but I wouldn't want to sit and ride any distance.
    His friend had the Scrap and beat the heck out of it until he went FS. He's 5' and had the 15" (S), my son is 5'5" and has a 15".
    Have you rode the 17" Stuff?

If your curious abut the Chimp: http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID40386...pira-2005.aspx
    Last edited by siskiyou; 09-06-2006 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    1 g. and still Alivio equipment?

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Santa Cruz Chameleon to, its kinda a dj/xc hybrid kinda deal.
    woooooooooo

I post too much.
    Kona stuff seems to fit your bill pretty well, a double ring up front, a nice mountain cassette, decent compenentry. Id hit it.

Meh.
    You're likely to replace derailleurs anyways (very vulnerable). So it's not really a big deal to throw low-end derailleurs on. They do the same thing.

I like how the Kona rides better than the Chimpira. The Porter will be a better street/DJ bike than the Chimpira.

Check out the Giant STP for sure. It's a super sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies, you have been helpful.

@siskiyou: Yes, the IronHorse Chimp seems really cool and I'd thought of it before. Thing is, I can't buy the full bike, the importer for IronHorse just deals in frames. In shops here, we can just buy the frames (mostly the high-end ones). I want a ready to ride/complete bike.
    I've ridden a 06 Kona Scrap (15" - S) and a 06 Kona Hoss (18"). Liked the Scrap a lot but felt small. The Hoss, I loved it. Very strong frame too. It's a XC bike with a DJ/Street feel too it. I'm looking for the other way round: A DJ/Street bike with a XC feel to it.

@trevorh: Same, we can only get Santa Cruz frames here, not complete bikes.

@XSL_WiLL: Will check out the Giant STP!

@Raghavan: Yeah, for that kind of money, the least they could mount would be Deore or some nice SRAM stuff. I'll probably end up replacing a few parts.

Thanks everyone for your input, keep it coming! Still, I got a couple of weeks before I make my purchase. All options still open, but the Stuff is leading...
    Last edited by dm_kona; 09-07-2006 at 03:22 AM.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by dm_kona
    Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies, you have been helpful.

@siskiyou: Yes, the IronHorse Chimp seems really cool and I'd thought of it before. Thing is, I can't buy the full bike, the importer for IronHorse just deals in frames. In shops here, we can just buy the frames (mostly the high-end ones). I want a ready to ride/complete bike.
    FYI, the IH distributor in the UK does import full bikes as well as frames. Just wanted to clarify, give them a call and they should be able to help you out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    theres a guy on ridemonkey with a le toy 3 for sale 550 obo i guess and staccccked with dj1 atomlabs, profile, hydro, the works bro

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    This might also be a good choice, I'm considering this option seriously:

GT Ruckus Shore (better components, more front travel, a little more HT Agro XC/Freeride able bike, worst frame (?))
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/c...int&brand=moun

Others:

IronHorse Ojiki (FS, more of a freeride bike than dirt or street, probably a little more expensive)
    http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=20

Norco Manik (love it, would get it if it was there was a dealer in the area, probably more expensive)
    http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/Mount...view=1&deets=1

Gary Fisher Mullet (save some money, better geometry for xc, worst components)
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...il&bike=Mullet
    Last edited by dm_kona; 09-08-2006 at 07:06 AM.

dirt rules
    If you can afford it, support local bike shops and bike companies! You will get a nice warm fuzzy feeling, knowing that your money is going to people you might even know.

What's that smell?
    I'm 6'1" and ride a 17.5" Roast that feels a little small after riding my 19" Stinky.

Portland, OR
    man, people ride some big frames ! I used to have a 06 shred in a size small (15) and it was too big for me. like for trail it was okay, but the konas really arent as flickable as most. for like XC/Trail/DJ riding the kona wins hands down. but for street and more trials stuff ...the konas are big and sloppy. but if you really want it as a complete all around bike, it will work. might also want to check out the P. series and the STP frames, also Norco has some nice stuff out as well. but I'm 6'2" and the 15" kona was still too big. the 17" would be absolutly terrible for street. if you want more of a BMX feeling bike, the P.1 cr-mo, its like a 13.5" frame, with a 22.5 top tube, really versatile. would be kinda awkward for trials and long XC rides though.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    The 07 kona stuff looks tight. you may want to consider something abit smaller like a 15" tho. A 17" is going to be hard to flick around. Just raise the seat on xc rides. Like if you were buying a specialized DJ bike (those are nice too), you wouldn't even have the option of that larger seattube size. Wheelies and manuals would be easier on a Specialied tho, because they have shorter chainstays than Konas. But you could still learn them on the Kona. The Stuff has major improvments in the frame compared to last year. The Adjustable verticle dropouts are awesome if you ever wanted to go singlespeed.

Look into specialized P series and Giant STPs too.