mtbr member

need advice on DJ bike

Hello, first post here. Im trying to get back into riding bicycles after about a 5 year break. I was really big into bmx, but now I want a biger bike. Currently Im 25 years old, 6'1" and about 185 pounds. My main purpose for the bike will be casual riding mostly, but I want to get back into trails and parks. It would also make a good pit bike for the race track.

The main bike Im looking at is the DK asterik 26 as it appears to be a pretty good bike, and is well within my budget. The cranks and fork seem decent from what Ive read and with a new set of wheels and a front brake I could have a pretty good setup for under a grand. Is this a decent choice? Ive had good luck with DK about 12 years ago with my General Lee.

Also what would be a good wheelset for that bike and any other components it might need? I would go out and buy a $1200-$1500 DJ bike, but its hard for me to make that steep of an initial investment. So with the DK I could build it as I go.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

mtbr member
    Where are you located? Because I just noticed this http://www.localbiketrader.com/bike-ad-o2065597525

Frame: DK 26 design 100% 4130 Butted Chromoly
    Fork: Marzocchi DJ-3 Suspension Fork w/ Chromoly Steerer & 80mm of Travel
    Handlebar: Aluminum 30mm rise
    Grips: DK Tsuka
    Stem: Short CNC Alloy
    Headset: Integrated, sealed cartridge 1-1/8
    Brake: Avid BB5 Mechaical Disc w/ 160mm rotor
    Detangler: N/A
    Cranks: DK Social 3pc 170mm Chromoly
    BB: Mid sealed w/ 8 splined Chromoly spindle
    Pedals: Aluminum Platform w/ replaceable pins
    Sprocket: DK 33T CNC Alloy
    Cog: 16T Cassette
    Chain: KMC 410H
    Wheels: Sun Ditch Witch Rims w/ sealed Disc brake compatible hubs, 10mm solid axles
    Seat: DK Pivotal
    Tires: Kenda Multi surface, 26X 2.3 front & rear
    Accessories: N/A
    Color: Flat Cyan / White
    Top Tube: 22
    Chain Stay Length: 16.25
    Head Tube Angle: 69 degrees
    Seat Tube Angle: 70 degrees
    Weight: 32.1 lbs.

FWIW I have an '05 DJ3 and definately wish I had something lighter.

I personally would hold out for something like an Eastern Night Train on closeout with a 318.

mtbr member
    I am in the Washington DC area, that is a sweet deal, but a bit far for me. The Eastern looks very nice, but its out of my price range, and I honestly doubt I am going to need a top of the line bike for my uses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MXRider72
    I am in the Washington DC area, that is a sweet deal, but a bit far for me. The Eastern looks very nice, but its out of my price range, and I honestly doubt I am going to need a top of the line bike for my uses.
    I felt/feel the same way. I snagged an '05 Mongoose Ritual frame a year or so ago off ebay for $75 new (never bought/built). Threw the '05 DJ3 I had bought back in '06 on close out for around $175, picked up some new Azonic Outlaws on sale for $200. Brakes, bars, grips, stem, head set, seat, cranks, pedals, tires, etc all on sale I probably have $550 in it, and if I had it to do over again I probably would have just caught a good deal on a complete. I swear at some point someone posted some Easterns on clearance for ~$550 but it might have been a T Bird, I don't remember exactly.

What are you pricing the DK at / where from?

mtbr member
    my local shop for $620 + tax

mtbr member
    Yes the DK Asterik (previously called the Xenia) is a very good choice for the money. The key is that it is in the $600 range yet has a Marzocchi fork, whereas other bikes in the $600 range will have something like an RST Space or SR Suntour which will do okay, but generally have more complaints.

All the parts on the DK are solid. It's an all 4130 frame. Only thing is that the geo is not quite as new school as some of the other dirt jumpers--i.e. the bottom bracket is a little lower and the back end is a little longer (16"/16.25" instead of 14.7" to 15.7"). This results in a slightly more mtb-ish ride than some of the DJ bikes with ultra-short back ends and a taller stance (like the Atomlab Trailking for example). However, it's also super stable. I rode one for 2 years and it was pretty sweet. Never regretted the purchase once. Ended up upgrading to Blackmarket MOB though, so Blackmarket is my main recommendation if you're willing to spend the dollars.

"Newb to urban/park"
    Newb to urban/park

Bike Suggestions
    Bike Suggestions

Looking into starting DJ
    Looking into starting DJ

looking to get into urban / dirt jump
    looking to get into urban / dirt jump

Looking for new Urban bike....Give me some options.
    Looking for new Urban bike....Give me some options.

DJ bike questions
    DJ bike questions

6'3" looking for a good urban bomber.
    6'3" looking for a good urban bomber.

Medium Price Complete DJ/MTBMX bikes (550 to 750 range)
    * Haro Thread, Steel Reserve
    * DK Asterik
    * Comencal Max Max
    * Mongoose Ritual

Higher Price Complete (750 - 1400)
    * Specialized P1/P2/P3
    * Giant STP
    * Eastern Thunderbird, Eastern Nighttrain
    * Blackmarket 357, Blackmarket Riot,

High end Frames
    * Blackmarket MOB
    * Superco Charger
    * Doberman
    * NS

mtbr member
    Thanks, being a bit more mountain bike like probably would be a good thing for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0