tuck-n-roll master

Upset Nasty Creaking Noise

All of a sudden my ride has developed this nasty creaking noise on the downward stroke of the drive-side crank. It creaks on every stroke until I get up to a little bit of speed. I've tried to adjust the cranks, the chain tension, and the pedal. It sounds like something is shifting and then hitting something else. I'm running a SS w/ bmx parts setup. Anybody got any ideas? Most of the parts are fairly new and this is driving me insane.

train gorilla
    check your BB. Might be bearings or a loose cup...
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

I post too much.
    Either loose or toast BB.

Meh.
    Check to make sure the cranks are nice and tight. Check the chainring bolt(s). Make sure your chain tension is good. If all else fails, pull the bb out. Thoroughly clean. Plug all the frame holes with grease, tape with several layers of PTFE teflon tape. Grease the threads, and reinstall.

mtbr member
    If you're using BMX-type 3piece cranks, throw some teflon tape around the spindle where the sprocket (spider or chainwheel) bears on the spindle. And check the little adapter spacer in there too. I've got 22mm spindle cranks and that little spacer is only 1mm thick so it deforms and wears out quickly.