REALLY?

My New Blk Mrkt (22" to small for 6'1 guy)

I just bought a 357 - erm, it rides pretty good I guess, its to small though, I'm 6'1 with a short torso and really long arms and legs, the 22" feels kinda small and low to me, my knees come close to hitting the handle bar when I stand up to pedal and I feel as though to much of my body is over the front of the bike. Length wise Its like comparing an old skool S&M Dirt Bike (20" toptube) to a Holmes (21" toptube), while I can ride the Dirt Bike, its to small, I feel much more at home on the Holmes with its longer toptube. Blk Mrkt should consider making a 23" toptube bike perhaps. I know the Mob is available with a 22.5, but thats a scary proposition money wise if it ends up being to small for me still. I'll see if I can get used to this 22", dont really have much of a choice I guess. Kinda sucks, I only heard good things about this bike, nothing bad...erm...hmmm.

I'm out, laters.

-J

DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

i like rocks
    i'm 5'10ish on a 21.5" frame. my knees come pretty close to the bars, but it feels right for a dj bike to me. nice n small and snappy like.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm about the same build as you, 6'1" mostly in the legs and ride a 22" riot. I'm happy with the fit personally. Not sure what you were riding before this besides bmx but it won't feel like you're riding a mt bike.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Im not exactly the same height as you im more 5'9 on a stp and it feels crapped to me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ride it for a wile and see if you grow into it (or shrink), unless you are hitting your knees. I'm 6' and I have the 22" 357 and after riding it for a few months I'm wising I had gotten the smaller one.

REALLY?
    I ride an Ironhorse Yakuza Chimpira 15" frame...its similar geo to the Mob but its a 22.5 or 23" top tube and feels great. I'm starting to get used to the 22" 357, I cut my bars down to 26" and that made a little bit of difference...so far jump wise the bike is awsome, but for bunny-hopping its a bit small, its hard to me to get the front up since I feel so much of my weight is centerd over the front. I was thinking longer stem and taller bars but the stem on it is already pretty long (50-70mm) I think?

Like I said, I think I may need to get used to it more than anything, this is my first real true DJ bike.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    would say try some taller bars before stem, like 3+ rise. nempro weezy's are what I run.. couldnt be happier

mtbr member
    i'm also the same build as you.

i ride the 22.5" MOB with a 55mm or 70 mm stem (i think i'm gonna switch back to the 70) with the 3.25" rise Nemesis Project 'Weezy Bars'. you can change the feel of a bike a LOT with bar/stem changes.

i agree with you on the 23". although i am super psyched on my bike, i could def ride a 23".

REALLY?
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    That bike looks nice and clean, I like the color coordinated wheels, chaingring and bars, do they come stock like that?
    ChannelMTB Producer and Director and full time bike dreamer.

Allday Haro
    replace the forks and your set!

BH1
    mtbr member
    I like your early/mid-90s BMX references. Makes perfect sense to me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm the exact opposite-5ft7 on a 22.5" mob with very low and wide bars...

must add that the lenght difference between a 22 and 22.5 inch blk mrkt feels quite big, I always feel like I'm being pitched over the bars on my mate's 22" Riot.

maybe lower the forks as this will make for a longer front end, the standard mz's are quite high for these frames too.

Local Shop Abuser
    Mar 2009
    I'm 6'2 and just ordered a 357 on Tuesday. I got it in white though. I am wondering what the difference is between the 357 and the riot? Anyone know?