mtbr member
    Oct 2006

my budget haro zero roll-your-own build, so far:

ok... after breaking my current bikes too many times ('92 mongoose rockadile hardtail, manitou 2, single speed old school hotness... and a mystery framed full suspension piece of junk, single speed)... decided i have to get something i wont get hurt on because the frame cracked or the crank broke (both happened in the past month).

so... working on a budget so i can justify it to the misses... and because i'm too cheap to pay retail... and because i loves me a project... started gathering parts.
    want strong, lite, reliable... and cheap. tough to mix 'em all, so some obvious comprimises had to be made...
    used universal cycles and speedgoat's pricematch... ebay (**** i hate ebay)... my LBS... some other sources listed...

yes, i realize i could have bought someone's used bike for less... and it wouldnt have cost much more than what i've spent for a new Haro Zero on clearance... but neither would be the bike i really want.

what i have sitting laid across my living and dining rooms, so far... (which the kids think is the greatest thing ever, so now they can leave their toys all strewn about mixed with mine )

'05 Haro Zero frame... new for $88, from a bike shop in san diego (forget the name).
    '02 Marz MXR... used for $38. cost $7 to rebuild it, had xx firm springs.
    Truvativ ISIS overdrive BB... $34, new, shipped from the UK (the only one that'll fit this frame).
    Bontrager RaceLite SS crankset, 32t... $29, used, ebay.
    Bontrager Crowbar... $18, used, ebay
    FSA The Pig headset... $19, new, speedgoat
    (2) Kenda K-rad 2.3... $36, new, speedgoat
    Kalloy Laprade seatpost... $12, new, speedgoat
    REAL front disc hub... $18, new
    DMR Revolver SS rear hub... $51, new, speedgoat
    ACS Claws 16t freewheel... $12, new, speedgoat (wonder how long this will take to break)
    (2) Sun SingleTrack 32h... $40 for both, new, universal cycles (built right, no they will not be weak)
    Avid BB5 160mm rear... $32, new, universal cycles
    (2) tubes... $7, LBS

the ebay prices listed are including shipping... the total shipping on the other stuff comes to around $25.

still waiting for my spokes to be cut... need a few more small parts (chain, fasteners, etc)

the total weight so far is up to 28.8lbs. i'm guessing it'll be a bit over 31lbs by the time it's together. there are definetely some things listed above that are a bit on the heavy side, but the price worked.

the bike will be used mostly for urban, some commuting, some DJ. i'm 180lbs, getting too old to do the crazy stuff... so i figure it'll work well for me.

any comments/suggestions are more than welcome...
    i'll post pics when it's more looking like a bike, less looking like piles of parts...

i might scoot around on this for a while, then pick up a trail-or-park frame when one comes up for a good price. rode one a few times, just about the perfect geometry for me...

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    looks liek you got some good deals!

now....PICS!

btw, thanks for the help in the other thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd
    looks liek you got some good deals!

now....PICS!

btw, thanks for the help in the other thread

good deals, yeah.... but the time i spent GETTING those good deals was silly... luckily i have a lot of down-time at work (software engineer... i just sit there a lot).... so spent that time researching and finding stuff
    sure hope nobody i work with reads this

i'll get pics as i build...

no problem on the help... that's the great thing about forums... ask and ye shall recieve...
    (i spend a LOT of time on forums, at work )