the giant.

are my bars TOO wide?

i got a new set of bars a month ago, and i love them. theyre immortis oelis. theyre 5.75x 32. theyre great, but i want to start doing barspins.. im a tall guy, so im worried about hitting my knees. my friend has 29"s and he says he almost hits..

im comfortable with how wide they are now (even 30" feels skinny). if im thinking about barspins, should i be cutting down my bars?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    32 is a huge freaking handlebar. i run a 700mm bar (27.5in) and it's perfect for me.

you can cut a bar, but you can't make it longer. so try it out and be sure you want to cut, before you cut them down. chances are, though, that they will be too wide. they may not hit your knees, but they'll for sure be awkward to spin around.

mtbr member
    Honestly I don't think you'd hit your knees. I had a set of roseanne bars on my 20" bmx bike with a 21"tt and cleared my knees. With that said I had to pay closer attention to my placement when doing bar spins.

mtbr member
    Wide bars are happy bars. alexrex20 has a good point about not being able to make them longer if you cut them too short or don't like it.

the giant.
    i havent gotten a chance to try barspins yet, because the only place i can is in my driveway, and it was pure ice. i went of vacation for a week to florida, and the ice melted, but i was going to learn them on a wood hit to a snow landing, but most of the snow melted too... so i have no place to try them now..i guess ill just have to man up and try them anyways.

oh. and i have a 23.5"tt.

mtbr member
    What I'm doing right now for a couple weeks before I do the same thing is I moved the lever/grips down toward the middle and riding like they have been cut just to double check that it doesn't affect my other riding/comfort before I take the plunge.

Members who have read this thread: 0