rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

most vague question, EVER.... what bike is this?

ok..no pics...or i'd know the answer. i was at one of my LBS's over the week...and saw an interesting dj bike..that i wanted to research a little....but, um...yeah..i forgot what it was, their websites down, and everytime i call...it goes to the garage..and they're apparently all retarded and don't know how to patch me to the bicycle part of the shop (it's a car/bike/toy shop in hickory, NC)

so..here's the vaguesness:
    bike was black, i believe textured/flat
    had kenda k-rads, stock
    single speed
    was $550 for an 05 model, that was still new...just reduced price

so...haha...how shitty was that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Azonic Steelhead maybe.

I post too much.
    P.1 maybe?

Pro Crastinator
    yup, sounds like a junky P. series POS....

FWIW, several dudes i know (6 to be exact) have picked up a P. series bike in the last year, only one had the frame last longer than 4 months, the other 5 are plain trash. all had ovalized headtubes (some had other issues as well) and SpecialEd will not warrranty them.

I post too much.
    Funny, a friend of mine snapped his Hardrock frame in half, and they refunded him. He bought a bmx with the money.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    anyone have a link to the bike? i can tell then

but, yeah...prob go by the shop tommorrow anyways.....

Meh.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL

ass

but...yeah...i'll just go by tommorrow or sometime...i know it was vague...but, yea...it was killing me, haha

h-town hucker
    specialized doesnt put kenda's on their bikes?? they usually use specialized tires from what i know.

and i gotta P1, and im lovin it. the only problem was a shitty fork9which was replaced hen i finally broke it) (now im fully rigid) and picking up a bmx chain for it.

it sounds like a steelhead to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Haro Zero? in '05 they were flat black, came as a single speed, came with kenda k-rads on them... and $550 sounds about right for a discounted one.
    just a guess, of course...

h-town hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by dhallilama
    Haro Zero? in '05 they were flat black, came as a single speed, came with kenda k-rads on them... and $550 sounds about right for a discounted one.
    just a guess, of course...

i think you nailed it. i have a friend who got an 05' Zero. tha description fits it perfectly.

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    yup, sounds like a junky P. series POS....

FWIW, several dudes i know (6 to be exact) have picked up a P. series bike in the last year, only one had the frame last longer than 4 months, the other 5 are plain trash. all had ovalized headtubes (some had other issues as well) and SpecialEd will not warrranty them.
    Odd, at Rye Airfield, just last night I saw 4 guys there thrashing their P series bikes. Not an issue...I see them every week. never probs.

Must be that us New England guys are just sallys.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyP1
    i think you nailed it. i have a friend who got an 05' Zero. tha description fits it perfectly.
    i've got one i'm building.... in pieces.... in my living room. the wife calls it "the white elephant" as it takes up so much room, and doesnt do anything (building it part by part... waiting for the parts to come up at the right price... taking a while).

keep in mind, if it is an '05 Zero, they use an ISIS Overdrive bottom bracket.... which are all but impossible to find in the US (and pretty difficult elsewhere).
    only good option is that Haro makes a kit that holds BMX bearings, so you can run a proper crank... ~$100.
    i picked up the last two Truvativ ISIS Overdrive bottom brackets i could find in the right size... had to ship 'em over from the UK. on the plus side, the HUGE friggin bearings in them, mean they last a while (although they weigh a ton, too).

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    sweet...i think that's it

so...yeah, the whole BB deal...is that enough to steer clear of this bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd
    sweet...i think that's it

so...yeah, the whole BB deal...is that enough to steer clear of this bike?

wasnt for me...

when it comes time to changing the BB...

either ~$100 for a haro bmx crankset adapter (comes with the axle, think even their cranks)... then you can just change the bearings with std bmx stuff... this thing is some sweet kit, really. can run most 3pc BMX cranks on this...
    EDIT: doesnt come with their cranks or axle... just the thread-in parts and bearings...
    see the "haro overdrive bb"

or find an Overdrive BB on eBay UK ($34 shipped, for one, as of the other day). the Overdrive has some huge friggin bearings.... supposedly durable. we'll see... i now have 2 of them... one in the bike, one as a spare.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    how often would you even need to change a BB though?
    purely depend on how you ride?

and...biggest, is this bike capable of going to a 1x5,7,8, or 9 setup? or is it just not in the geo to do that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd
    how often would you even need to change a BB though?
    purely depend on how you ride?

and...biggest, is this bike capable of going to a 1x5,7,8, or 9 setup? or is it just not in the geo to do that?
    you know... i hear about people who's BB only lasts for a few months... but i've never gone though one sooner than a couple years... i weigh 180lbs and am pretty rough on my bikes... yet have had very few problems ever with BBs.

yeah, it has 135mm spacing in the back.... can run a 5,7,8,9.... needs a derailer adapter, though (have seen them, but forget which one fits the Zero).
    single speed is where it's at, though... simple, lite, less to break...

i have yet to actually ride my Zero, as it's a pile of parts in my living room, and waiting for the rest of the parts so i can finish the bike... and only have test-ridden one in a parking lot... so my actual experience with them is low, other than what parts work with them.

Pro Crastinator
    why can't you just order a BB from Truvativ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    why can't you just order a BB from Truvativ?
    they stopped making them early last year... only produced them for ~6 months... have no more in stock, will not be making any more.
    believe me... i called EVERYONE. I spent a solid week searching for one.

Haro has a few in stock (but can only sell to dealers... my LBS has a huge markup)...
    chainreaction cycles in the UK has a few...
    and occasionally some on eBay UK, from "wolly hat shoppe" or something like that (where i got mine).

Haro has excellent customer service, they're who helped me actually find them for the best price.

not really all that big of a deal... they're $34 shipped from the UK... pretty cheap, if you ask me. although, since Truvativ is no longer making them, it means eventually there will be no new ones left to find.
    Haro's BMX crank kit is a good long-term solution, as they have replacable bearings (uses standard BMX stuff)...

Pro Crastinator
    they stopped making them early last year... only produced them for ~6 months... have no more in stock, will not be making any more...
    oh, i had no idea they stopped making them (or even started for that matter). i just did a google search and truvativ came up so i thought i would throw that out there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oh, i had no idea they stopped making them (or even started for that matter). i just did a google search and truvativ came up so i thought i would throw that out there...
    hell, i never even HEARD of an Overdrive BB until buying this frame
    it was the "new standard" for about 16 minutes, sometime in early 2005...

but, makes for a cheap frame... '05 was the only year that haro used them, AFAIK. and i have no clue if any other manufacturers even touched the Overdrive idea...

Meh.
    wasnt for me...

when it comes time to changing the BB...

either ~$100 for a haro bmx crankset adapter (comes with the axle, think even their cranks)... then you can just change the bearings with std bmx stuff... this thing is some sweet kit, really. can run most 3pc BMX cranks on this...
    EDIT: doesnt come with their cranks or axle... just the thread-in parts and bearings...
    see the "haro overdrive bb"

or find an Overdrive BB on eBay UK ($34 shipped, for one, as of the other day). the Overdrive has some huge friggin bearings.... supposedly durable. we'll see... i now have 2 of them... one in the bike, one as a spare.
    You could've just gone to your LBS and ordered it.

Edit:
    NVM, I didn't realize that they had already discontinued the ISIS Overdrive. The idea is that ISIS bb's have small bearings that wear out too quickly, so the overdrive can use larger bearings while retaining the common ISIS interface.

Pro Crastinator
    hell, i never even HEARD of an Overdrive BB until buying this frame ..
    i'd never heard of it until i read this thread....

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    well....according to haro, a rear derailuer is all but out of hte question...unless i go to a saint type rear piece...but that'd require all kinds of other parts to go on as well...and last thing i want to do is completely change a new bike around.

so...i guess my hunt for a bike is back on