Cheapo

Micro racing bikes

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, I think this one is closest to my question.

My youngest daughter is racing Striders right now at the local BMX track; will eventually be buying her a Micro to start off with for the track when she starts pedaling. I will find something used on Craigslist, but CL led me to this question while looking online at different ones. I found a used Crupi frame-only for $250 and remembered seeing complete used Redline micros for that price. I decided to look up what the Crupis cost.

Crupi makes a Micro for $1,680:
    Crupi Parts, Inc.

Redline has them for $480 and $800:
    2014 Proline Micro | Redline Bicycles
    2014 Flight Micro | Redline Bicycles

Haro, GT are around $500, among others.

Is a kid that is small enough to be racing a micro really going to see any benefit from a bike that costs over $1100 more than the "lower" cost ones? (And I use "lower" cost very loosely). And no, I will not be buying my 4-year old a $1700 race bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Dave,
    I was in the same boat: my kid could barely throw his foot over a 12" Specialized Hot Rock, but he could pedal the thing all over and would bomb the entire bmx supercross track on his Strider. He was on the Strider since 18 months and just took to it. He just turned three in late March and still didn't fit over the Powerlite Micro Mini w/18" wheels we got him for Christmas. The cost of Micros is just outrageous for a bike that might last some kids only a year...

...which should get you pointed to your local tracks, eBay, Craigslist (crazedlist.org as a aggregator for searching), forums, VintageBMX, BMXmuseum, etc for used ones. I live in CT and found the Powerlight with mostly Crupi parts and a King headset for $300... I offered to pay for shipping ($30) and we got a very nice bike that he'll be able to use for a couple years before I probably cherry pick it when he moves to the larger mini frame that his older sister just finished using when she moved up to a Jr.

He is now able to do a cyclocross mount and dismount to ride the thing... it's pretty impressive to watch, actually. I'm guessing his first race on it will be in June. He can't wait to ride with the big kids on the whole track. He actually asks to start a jump behind all the other striders to get more track in...

This is a good time of year to find them, it seems! Good luck! BUY USED!