mtbr member
    Sep 2006

marzocchi DJ3 feeling DEAD

okay i just got my first DJ oriented fork which is a DJ3 and it just feels dead until you start hitting jumps, is that how all marzocchies feel or is it just the DJ style of forks cause i like to stick with one brand and it was manitou till the started making crap, so
    is it supposed to feel like that

Meh.
    Pretty much. SSV dampening is pretty poor. What do you mean by dead? If it feels like it's sticking, it could just be the fork breaking in. If the dampening feels sub-par change the oil. If it's too stiff, let some air out (there really shouldn't be much in there anyways).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i'm pretty sure these forks were made to take larger than average hits, so they don't have good small bump response. i know when i rode mine out on the xc trails it was basically like riding a rigid fork unless i hit a big drop or something. but i also pump mine full of air, i hate pedal bob. i like it just so it takes the edge off of hard landings

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    you shouldnt have more than like 10 psi in the fork. depending on your weight you can change out the oil weight to like a 10w or even 20w , 7w is stock. i have a dj3 @ 100mm with 10w moto shock oil and no air and its nice. just try differnt combos till u find what u like. i had a dj2 that was 150mm and i reduced it to 100mm and then just took the spring out and ran 10w oil and 50psi air (as advised by marz) and its was ok just a little to soft for me though.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i'm looking at the dj3 myself.... are there any online manuals showing how to change all the aspects of the fork? and where do you buy the correct shock oil? I'm just figuring i'll have to set up the one i'm buying, since i'm a little heavier than the average rider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    go to marz. website and download the pdf. for the manual

Meh.
    I believe Marzocchi forks ship with Golden Spectro 7.5wt oil. Though several brands may all list 7.5wt on the bottle, the actual viscoties can differ greatly. Keep that in mind.